Computer Builds: For Starters

Maze

I’m interested in building my own PC and maybe even continuing to build them. The problem is, I don’t know where to start. I have a pretty basic knowledge of computers, but I’m interested in learning more about them. I like to learn how things work and think building a PC could be a very hands on fun project for me. Any guidance or advice for my own research would be greatly appreciated.

beers

Staff member
Hello.

What computer do you have now? Do you know all of the components and their purpose? What kind of performance goals do you have, and how much are you looking to spend?

Maze

Hello.

What computer do you have now? Do you know all of the components and their purpose? What kind of performance goals do you have, and how much are you looking to spend?

I don’t have a PC in house right now. I know some of the components from computer science, but it’s been a while. I want to be able to use it for gaming and streaming in the long run. For budget, I’m willing spend between $500-$1000 more if needed, I’m more concerned about learning all the parts before I start buying anything.

ssal

"How computer works" is a very wide topic. If you are thinking of hardware, the assembling of a PC would let you learn the superficial fact what's the function each component. A CPU to process the data; GPU to process the graphics; the RAM holds and shuffles the data; the SSD/HHD storages the files; the fan/cooler dissipates the heat. I don't think you need to build a PC to learn all that.

What makes computer work (depending what work you are thinking about), depends very much on the software. That is a whole different subject. The are many high level languages for coding. There are some bites and bytes in the deep end. Or, like me, just buy what I need. Again, you're not going to learn that to build.

Most people have a specific purpose, or purposes for their PC. It could be minding cryptocurrency; editing photo/video; playing games; crunching data; browsing the web; managing their business affair; downloading/streaming. There are different requirement in hardware of different applications.

It is a long response for your questions. Maybe you can do some more soul searching before you spend your first dollar. What's obviously to me is, in this day of age, if you don't have a PC at home, you probably don't know that.

[PS: How did you come to this forum, if you don't have a PC?]

Maze

It’s the learning combined with the building that I want to get hands on with. I know I don’t need to build a pc to learn how they work, but I would like to know how they work before I venture into building one to get a better understanding of what I’m working with, and what kind of quality I would potentially want or need in my PC. Of course I could just buy one, but I’m also interested in diving into the components and how they come together. I want to build for the simple fact I find it interesting and would like to learn how to build myself. (I’ve thought about coding too. I’ve only ever dabbled in it a little bit.)

I figure my own research combined with being able to actually talk to people who have more knowledge than I do would be helpful as well.

ssal

Similar experience of building a computer is not more that hooking up a stereo system in the old days (blue tooth changed all that; now everything is wireless). You plug the AC onto a wall outlet; twist the copper and screw it into the back of the amplifier. Here, you are plugging the GPU, RAM into the slots and positioning the CPU into the CPU pad.

If you want to go thru with it, by all mean. A lot of us use PcPartPicker to pick the components. It would give you some idea of prices, where to get it and compatibility.

When you put it together, come back here and ask for opinion of the list you put together. I think just putting it together there would give you a real good learning experience.

Last edited: