Computer cannot play or read contents of DVD

moundtown

I created a DVD of home movies that plays in a DVD player but when I try to play it, or view the contents of it, on my Windows XP computer whatever program I use (Windows Explorer, WMP, WinX DVD Ripper) stops responding. I have to eject the DVD to even close the program. I have two DVD burners in the computer and the same thing happens with both. The DVD was created from DVD+R media.

This is the only copy I have of these videos. How can I recover them from the DVD to make copies or save them to the hard drive?

christofudge

You could try using ripping software on the DVD I guess and see if that gets you anywhere. It's really strange how it plays in a normal DVD player but not your computer software though 0_o

Yeah, that would be my next step anyway, try downloading a free ripping program and try ripping the DVD without watching and it and see what comes up.

Hope this helps!

moundtown

You could try using ripping software on the DVD I guess and see if that gets you anywhere. It's really strange how it plays in a normal DVD player but not your computer software though 0_o

Yeah, that would be my next step anyway, try downloading a free ripping program and try ripping the DVD without watching and it and see what comes up.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for responding. I have tried ripping software (WinX DVD Ripper), copy software (DVDFab), and several DVD playing programs, and they all stop responding when they try to access the DVD.

christofudge

Ahh then I have no idea sorry :/ Hopefully someone else will be able to help you... it's definitely a head scratcher this one! I hope you find your solution soon though!

spirit

Staff member
Try a different DVD drive. Pick up an external one and try that, or try it in another PC.