Computer clustering and running Dual OSs

firemael

All right, I was thinking of clustering a series of computers with Beowulf... But I was wondering is it possible to run dual OSs... like Windows and a Unix-based OS simultaneously, and still get the affect of clustering while running Windows... or would it only work for the unix OS?

Alternatively, is there a decent way to cluster numerous computers (think over 50) on Windows XP or even Vista?

Thanks in advance.

The Qban

with windows server you can only cluster up to 8 servers. And thats with active/passive mode. No windows suports up to 50. I dont know about Unix though

The Qban

you should look into VM Ware. They have a very good virtual server software, that will allow you to run multiple OS's on your desktop. Though i dont know what capablities for what software they support. I know that they support windows and linux. Beyond that, i dont know about unix. If its a small computer though, dont try to run too many virtual instances or the computer will lag. With all the dual cores and quad cores running around, vmware is haivng a ball with new updates and patches that let the software acutally regulate the cores to what virtual instance. THough i have never tried it, it would be a good experiment to try clustering on a virtual instance. good luck