Computer Crashing..

Schonza

I wasnt sure where to post this so if mods need to move it, do so.

I'm having issues with my computer crashing, mainly under load playing games. No BSODS, the game crashes and i can hear audio clearly (skype calls etc) for another 10-20 secs before the system shuts down.

Specs are as follows:

Intel i5-3570k @ stock speed
Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H TH
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) Corsair
Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7970 @ stock speeds
Samsung 840 series 240 gb ss
500 gb + 1tb seagate 7200 sata
3tb western digital caviar 7200 sata
Currently running Windows 10 64 bit.

Having checked under load, the temperatures dont seem suspect either, with the cpu hitting 45-48C and the gpu peaking at 54-57C.

Thanks in advance.

Schonza

Upgraded today to a thermaltake 650w litepower. The crashing has slowed, but not stopped. Maybe I need to run a stress test on the gpu/memory? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is, you may have damaged the gpu by using a lower wattage psu. I would check for memory errors first by running memtest. Do you have another video card to try?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It won't save any logs as its a bootable program. If the installed memory had errors you'll see then in the list. Let it run 2 passes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling its the video card. Gonna have to try a known good card to test.

spirit

Staff member
Lots of 7970s seem to be dying at the moment - looks like the lifespan on this card was only about 4 years for some people! I'd also say you've been bitten by the '7970 bug' I'm afraid. :(

Can you remove your 7970 and try the onboard video or another graphics card for a while?

Schonza

Hmm that's annoying. I don't even think this system is that old. =\ I could try the onboard graphics, as I don't have a spare card. Is there a program I could run to stress the gpu, to see whether the load would cause it to crash?

spirit

Staff member
Hmm that's annoying. I don't even think this system is that old. =\ I could try the onboard graphics, as I don't have a spare card. Is there a program I could run to stress the gpu, to see whether the load would cause it to crash?
Yeah you could try a game or maybe FurMark.

If you can try the onboard GPU for a while and report back that would be good. If it's all OK then your video card or its drivers are the fault here but it looks like you have tried at least two drivers for it already. I would normally say the PSU could be at fault, but you've replaced that too.

Schonza

Have swapped to integrated graphics, will run Counter Strike: Global Offensive tonight when I'm free to see whether it continues the issue, as that is the program that is locking up the most.

Darren

Staff member
Lots of 7970s seem to be dying at the moment - looks like the lifespan on this card was only about 4 years for some people! I'd also say you've been bitten by the '7970 bug' I'm afraid. :(

Can you remove your 7970 and try the onboard video or another graphics card for a while?

I wouldn't lump all the 7970's together and write 'em off. You're likely seeing them go because they were popular and readily distributed in the used market. Given the large amount of them and the age, it makes sense. Also since they were mining cards a good amount of them had a hard life.

Or fan speed bugs. :p

spirit

Staff member
I wouldn't lump all the 7970's together and write 'em off. You're likely seeing them go because they were popular and readily distributed in the used market. Given the large amount of them and the age, it makes sense. Also since they were mining cards a good amount of them had a hard life.

Or fan speed bugs. :p
I'm not saying they're all going to die, but recently there seems to be more of them dying than any other card (on here at least). Perhaps they just have a shorter lifespan by design or maybe people are just getting unlucky. Every now and then you get a card with a higher failure rate than most others and perhaps the 7970 is now showing slightly higher failure rates than other cards that came out at around the same time. Or again, maybe it's just a coincidence that most people here with graphics card issues seem to have 7970s.

Schonza

Sadly to say, I'm now 90% sure my card is on the fritz. I got through 2 competitive matches on cs:go without a crash. Normally it would do it 2-3 times. Going to put the card back in tomorrow and run furmark to confirm, but looks like a new gpu for me. Any recommendations?

Schonza

So I ran furmark for 10 hours, and everything is happy. Does that mean there could be something else causing an issue?