Computer Crashing..

Darren

Staff member
I'd try underclocking your 7970 slightly, you can use MSI Afterburner.

Furmark passing doesn't really mean much.

Schonza

Yeah it is just Cs:go mainly. The only other odd thing is I don't see the windows logo on start up but I do with the onboard graphics. I have undercooked the card back to standard 7970 speeds as mine is a factory of version.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah it is just Cs:go mainly. The only other odd thing is I don't see the windows logo on start up but I do with the onboard graphics. I have undercooked the card back to standard 7970 speeds as mine is a factory of version.

Are you using an HDMI cable?

If so that's a known bug and was fixed in the latest drivers. Which ones do you have now? 16.2.1 Hotfix is what you want.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

spirit

Staff member
Have you tried any other games to see if it's just an issue with CS:GO?

It sounds like you might have a buggy driver. Every now and then AMD release bad drivers but they'll have them sorted soon if there are known issues (NVIDIA does too, before Darren throws rocks at me. :p). The fact is that nobody can produce a driver that works perfectly for everybody. A driver that works well for one person might be rubbish for another because of all of the different possible configurations that people are using these drivers with. The drivers you have installed right now may just not be working great with your configuration.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Usually a black screen where you can still hear audio is a hardware/driver issue.

I'd update driver and maybe try downclocking a little bit, you indicated that your 7970 was a bit on its way out, is this the main culprit or were there other issues exhibited?

Darren

Staff member
Usually a black screen where you can still hear audio is a hardware/driver issue.

Resolved Issues

A black screen/TDR error may be encountered when booting a system with Intel + AMD graphics and an HDMI monitor connected

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson_Edition_16.2.1.aspx

This was specifically fixed. :)

Actually, ever since I switched to Crimson drivers I had that problem with my second monitor, which uses HDMI. It was fixed for me when I updated it to 16.2. I never gave it any thought because it just didn't show anything until booted into Windows and my main monitor still worked.

Schonza

The hotfix has helped, but it is still crashing on occasion. Nowhere as much as it was. There are also still little skips during gameplay, again specifically with cs:go.