Computer died - I'm confused???

Jamin43

banned
I decided to tinker with my PC - adding a drive to backup my system before I installed Windows 7 OEM.

I disconnected my SATA drive - and installed an IDE HDD as master in sharing an IDE cable with my DVD drive. Checked the connections - plugged in power supply - hit the switch - and I hear dead silence :eek:

No case fans, No HDD noise - no boot - nothing just a light on the Motherboard - so I know some power is getting in there.

I hooked back up the SATA drive in it's original configuration - and I still get nothing. :confused:

Does anybody have any suggestions here. I went to do a routing maintenance like putting in a second drive for backup - and My PC went into dead mode.

I'm open to all and any suggstions to get this thing working. Not really sure where to start.

Thanks
 
Forget it - I'm a moron. I wasn't hitting the Power Switch.

:angry:

Back to the PC to see if I can get both drives working. :D
 
I did run into a snafu - I've got my DVD - and HDD running off the same IDE Cable.

Trying to install Win 7 right now onto IDE HDD - and I'm getting an error message.
Disk Boot Failure - please 0insert system disk and press enter.

I went into Boot menu - and selected CD drive - to boot off of < even though mine is a DVD drive but that was not an option. >. I've got the Windows 7 OEM disk in the DVD drive - and the second plug in IDE cable is hooked up to an old IDE drive - with Jumper set to Master - that's got some leftover Ubuntu Server O/S on it that I am intending to overwrite right now.

At the moment - I have my SATA drive with Win 7 RC taken out.

Any ideas as to what options I have here - or what could be easily corrected to install Win 7 onto the IDE HDD I have set up.

Here's the jist of my Setup

Basically I'm trying to get a second drive onto my PC so I can back up everything the data I've accumulated on my Windows 7 RC setup. I'd like to do it without having to buy a SATA cable and HDD tomorrow afternoon that I don't really need at the moment - and use some spare parts I have laying around.

I suppose I could try reinstalling the SATA drive - and installing the jumper onto IDE drive and making the HDD a slave drive and move any data onto the IDE Drive and just install updated Win 7 over the Release Candidate after I get the data backed up

Any thouights

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Got it working

Had to set my DVD drive to Slave by moving the Jumper - and the HDD to Master - just got Windows 7 installed temporarily. Should be able to work this without having to get a whole new HDD set up. Initially, had both set as master drives.

At least it looks like that right now.
 
Back
Top