Computer Dilema

whiteleechris

I have a computer that I have spent about 700 dollars on, that I put together, all the parts were bought separately, I have not been able to get it running due to technical difficulties and I am at the point of giving up and trying to get rid of it! So if anyone has any good ideas about how to go about getting rid of it, that would be great, either that or an inexpensive way of getting it to start!

Thanks a lot for any incite!:confused:

whiteleechris

Oh yah, here are the specs on the computer!

motherboard
<http://shop3.outpost.com/%7BAjWJXHWM9B7v2RqifBeHFQ**.node1%7D/product/5061765;jsessionid=AjWJXHWM9B7v2RqifBeHFQ**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG>
Video card
<http://www2.bfgtech.com/bfgr76256gsoce.aspx>
Hard Drive
<http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-3348514w345.jpg>
and I have dual 1gb of ram

whiteleechris

I also have an Ultra ATA 133 card for the large hard drive, I bought it because I thought that the OS was not detecting the hard drive because it was too large! It seemed to work when I put Windows 98 on it, although I could only get on in the safe mode and it only worked every now and then and I think it stopped all together!

Vampiric Rouge

There's half a computer, it's a start. Now what about a CPU or Power supply? Also exactly what kinds of technical difficulties are you having?

whiteleechris

Oh boy, ummm, there is a power supply that came with the Tower I bought and it seems to work perfectly, and the processor I forgot to mention

I have a dual core pentium D processor
Im pretty sure this is the one I bought
<http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5101636?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG>

whiteleechris

The difficulties I am have are as I mentioned kind of, but in further detail, I have tried putting on an OS several times and it has failed due to not being able to detect the hard drive, also I have tested the hard drive and it has tested that it was ok, so I dont know what the problem is, I have tried so many things to fix it!

whiteleechris

ahhhh, I havent done anything with it in so long that Im not sure, but I can get into the bios, and I cant remember if I was able to do that or not!

K3rupt

Then your Getting somewhere arent you

Do you know how to Format a hard drive through the Windows Cd

Open up your bios by tapping DEL on most computers or F1 on others (what ever your bios says to do to get to Setup)

Set your computer to boot of the CD Drive that has the windows Cd in it

Follow the Prompts to install the OS.

Message back if still having problems

Maddhatter

if it doesn't work i'd say .99 to $1 considering they are obviously faulty parts. To me it sounds like you have the jumper settings wrong. Check the sticker on the harddrive and make sure the jumper is set to master or cable select altho i would recommend master from personal experience i have bad luck with cable select. You have to learn how to fix your problems if you're gonna go through the trouble of putting a computer together you can't just give up after the first boot and it not working.

whiteleechris

Well I have set and reset the jumper settings countless times as well as booted and rebooted more than several times! Its been a learning experience for me, so now whenever a friend has a problem with their computers I can help them out, but back on to the topic!

I have now decided to go in another direction! I am planning to use the hard drive I bought for my built computer for the one I am using right now! I plan to format both hard drives and somehow move my operating system and all my stuff onto the new hard drive, then reformatting the one Im currently using and using it in my built computer to see if that works!

Any advice on how to go about moving the operating system over to the new drive the most possibly easiest way would be great!

Maddhatter

someone else correct me if im wrong but i don't think you can move an OS from one drive to another and it still be functional. You're going to have to format the drive and reinstall the OS from the cd

K3rupt

No, your Correct there.

All i can think of doing, is dissconnecting all your cables, reconnecting them..

whiteleechris

I didnt think that you could move an OS but I had to ask just in case there was a way! It looks like I have a lot of kdrive reformatting and reinstalling and backing up to look foreward too!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
then of course you can install an OS on it.. unles its a failing hard drive you should ahve no problems. use another hard drive for starters and see if you gfet the same problem