computer doesnt work!

ryanlopez4550

i saw someone else had the same problem but this will be my first post.

ok...

coolermaster wavemaster case

1 gig of something ram ... i forget but trust me it works

geforce 6800 VC

intel 2.4 P4

vantec stealth 520w power supply

most of this worked before in my dell...

the system starts up for a second and lights up and spins but in a few seconds turns off again... power button and stuff isnt plugged in and i cant figure out where it plugs into!

its a stupid dell motherboard and i dunt know if it just doesnt have the right stuff for all the shit or what..

in case u havnt noticed im not very computer literate.

lynx6200

Okay, maybe you could give us a little background information on whats going on. It sounds like you took the mother board out of your dell and put it into a new case with some new upgrades or something? Anyway, are you saying the the power button on your case is not wired to the mother board, and if it not, how are you starting up the system?

From the sound of it, the computer running for just a few seconds, than shutting off, I would think its a psu problem, and you may need to replace it. I had the same exact problem.

ryanlopez4550

okokok...

230 is bad... it started smelling in there and THEN my brother finally calls his friend who knows 2 shits and says my motherboard is gay and i need a different one for some of the stuff i have...

NOW!

COULD this have hurt my 6800 gt video card!?!?!?

it spun fine and lit up and didnt beep or anything (after i plugged it into the power supply... before that it beeped and i turned it right off)

what i really need to know is what could having the power supply at 230 instead of 115 damage?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If the power supply is set to 230 then plugged in and computer switched on then I'd imaging the mobo is for sure dead and very possibly the CPU but basically everything plugged into the mobo is at risk but I'd imaging there is a good chance that your Videocard may be fine.

ryanlopez4550

it was only plugged into 230 for a VERY short amount of time and nothing seemed dead...

this whole pcie/agp crap is pissing me off so bad though...

if i had known i needed a new motherboard i would ahve bought a pci-e videocard in the first place!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it was only plugged into 230 for a VERY short amount of time and nothing seemed dead...
Yeah well if it was pluged in for less than 0.016 seconds you might be ok but i have a sneaking feeling it was for a bit longer :p

Dropkickmurphys

dell are some of the worst computers on the market....my hard drive failed after 6 months. avoid buying dell and DONT call their helpline....its in india!!!

Classic_house

If it was plugged in long enough to send an electrical current round the circuits then it has enough time to fry all of your silicon and you said it was smelling... That sounds like fried silicon 2 me... It’s sad but really you should check out what you can upgrade before plugging anything in!

And DropKick.....

As the Indians would say OH BLOODY HELL DON'T BUY A DELL.. 1000 pardons...

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
dell are some of the worst computers on the market....my hard drive failed after 6 months. avoid buying dell and DONT call their helpline....its in india!!!
Except dell didnt make the harddrive....