computer freezes all the time need advice

tg2xtreme

banned
Now I Am New To The Forum Also Am Not Very Computer Smart But I Do Know A Little Bit The Problem That I Am Have Is That My Computer Always Freezes Not Really Sure What The Problem Could Be My Computer Is About 4 Years Old Which I Know If Computer Age Is Pretty Old!! It Is A Piii My Buddy Told Me To Take A Part My Computer And Clean It Real Good And I Did It Was Pretty Dirty!!! I Replaced The Fan The Cools The Processor It Was So Dirty That It Burnt Up The Motor And Wasn't Even Running It Seams To Be Working For Now But If It Happens Again What Else Should I Check Or Replace!! I Have Dsl And My Computer Runs Great But Sometimes I'll Have Like 3 Windows Opened And It Will Freeze!! Totally Freeze Won't Even Control Alt Delete I Will Let It Go All Night And It Won't Freeze But Then When I Get U And Start Reading The Paper Online All Of The Sudden It Will Just Freeze Please Let Me Know Any Advice That Would Help Thanks Alot

mgoldb2

VIP Member
It would be helpful to know what windows you are running before we can give you instructions of things to do that might possiablly help.

mgoldb2

VIP Member
If it only occur when 1 certain program is running try reinstalling that one program. Otherwise First I would go to run and type msconfig. try to make as few programs as possiable start up when the computer start up. secound check the temputure of the computer make sure overheating it not causing this problem. next You may have IRQ conflicts. Every device on your PC has an IRQ line through which it communicates to the processor that the device needs its services. Two devices may be trying to access the same IRQ, a definite no-no. Use the Device Manager in the System portion of the Control Panel to determine whether you have an IRQ conflict. next clear all your temporary file folders. If you have less then 10% of the harddrive left it could cause problems also. I would then defrag your harddrive. Make saw you have the newist driver for your video card because that could cause freezes also. If it happen while browsing the internet make sure you have the newist browser.

I know this is long and I said alot of things but there so many things that can cause this problem.

murphy0207

tg2xtreme said:
Now I Am New To The Forum Also Am Not Very Computer Smart But I Do Know A Little Bit The Problem That I Am Have Is That My Computer Always Freezes Not Really Sure What The Problem Could Be My Computer Is About 4 Years Old Which I Know If Computer Age Is Pretty Old!! It Is A Piii My Buddy Told Me To Take A Part My Computer And Clean It Real Good And I Did It Was Pretty Dirty!!! I Replaced The Fan The Cools The Processor It Was So Dirty That It Burnt Up The Motor And Wasn't Even Running It Seams To Be Working For Now But If It Happens Again What Else Should I Check Or Replace!! I Have Dsl And My Computer Runs Great But Sometimes I'll Have Like 3 Windows Opened And It Will Freeze!! Totally Freeze Won't Even Control Alt Delete I Will Let It Go All Night And It Won't Freeze But Then When I Get U And Start Reading The Paper Online All Of The Sudden It Will Just Freeze Please Let Me Know Any Advice That Would Help Thanks Alot

i had a very similiar problem (except with windows me). it was caused by bad sectors on the hdd, in effect this caused the hdd to work much harder while searching for data causing overheating and therefore damaging the motherboard.mine would freeze while installing from the cdrom or basically anytime or then sometimes would work for a few days without freezing.Try using scandisk (surface scan) in dos using the command (c:scandisk/all). this will scan the entire hard disk including any hidden partitions.
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam Warren

hrmmm.

mabye you can use an upgrade on your processor. if you have low ghz's and system bus, and ram for that matter, that might be the problem, or if your computer cannot handle windows xp. my computer has this problem, all i need is ram, but i want a new comp so im just doing that. haha.

tg2xtreme

banned
well thats what i have been hearing alot is that my processor is getting to hot! i got a better fan and it has been working so far but my next purschase is a new processor! whats a good and and where can i get the best deal??

KillermilleR

What MB are you using and the chipset!.
Reading through the post, I definitly think that your system was exprencing crashes because of your fan(not working), amount of memory and maybe hard drive errors.

tg2xtreme

banned
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 254.48 MB
Available Physical Memory 50.82 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 625.42 MB

this is what it says in my system information page