Computer freezes and restarts

v3nes

I have build a new computer. Sometimes it can be up for 2 days and sometimes it restarts twice in one hour. I don't think its because cpu temperature or anything like that because I already checked that and there is always same temerature (38-40 C). It happens randomly, sometimes when watching movie online or writing document. After awhile computer freezes and in few seconds it restarts but it doesn't load OS it stuck with information that it could not find a loader. I have to restart computer by myself to make it load OS. I have ssd drive and one hdd drive. I was trying to install windows on both. I took ssd drive out to check if there is something wrong with hard drives but everything is ok. I don't know if its RAM or GPU.

spec

1 x ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

1 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1 x ssd ocz vertex 60GB

1 x CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

1 x Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

1 x XFX HD-685X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

spirit

Staff member
My wildest guess would be that there is something up with either your motherboard or power supply if it's just restarting out of the blue. Is anything overclocked at all? If anything is overclocked, remove the overclocks and see if anything improves.

v3nes

My wildest guess would be that there is something up with either your motherboard or power supply if it's just restarting out of the blue. Is anything overclocked at all? If anything is overclocked, remove the overclocks and see if anything improves.

Hey thank you for answer. I think my power supply is strong enough however it could be also a reason. It can be anything :) I never overclocked this computer however sometimes i'm getting error "Overclocking failed please press f1 to go to setup or press f2 to load default"

spirit

Staff member
Can you get into the BIOS and restore Optimal Settings or Load Fail Safe Options or something?

v3nes

I have default settings everything is set to auto. Maybe there is a firmware update for my motherboard.

spirit

Staff member
You may also want to try backing up all valued data to separate storage device and then re-installing Windows.

Back up all your data but reinstall Windows only as a last resort. I'd do all the other stuff I mentioned before you waste time reinstalling.

v3nes

I have updated my bios reinstalled windows and I got still this problem. But my computer was running fine for 2 days and then I decided to install graphic card drivers. After installation my computer did unexpected restart. I was reading commants on newegg about my psu and some people had similar problem. Maybe it is my PSU? I was never disappoited with corsair products but maybe this time they did something wrong :)

I will by new PSU and check. Do you know returning policy on newegg? How long I can keep item? I ask this question just in case if psu is not a couse of a problem.

Do you recommend any good PSU?

thanks

Okedokey

Check your RAM voltages and speed in the BIOS. Ensure they're correct.

Then run a memory checking program such as Memtest or Windows Memory Checker (on install DVD).

Also, are you getting Blue Screen of Death? If so, what does it say?

v3nes

Hey thanks for replay!

Voltage is 1.65v. I have run Memtest on this machine and everything is fine. Sometimes I have blue screen with 0x000000f4 error. I did research and I found out that it is hard drive issue. But as I said before I installed windows on both and had same problem. CMOS battery is new, and cables too because they came with motherboard.

Okedokey

This error has to do with an issue with Windows critical files.

Question: are you dual booting?

I would suggest a resintall as the fix is more painful.

In fact I would go as far as to say,

1. Shut down and disconnect all harddrives not used for Windows.
2. Use Killdisk to completely wipe your OS drive (assuming you have a backup)
3. Reinstall Windows clean.

Rebuild from there.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Have you tried unplugging the ssd and installing windows on the sata drive , in case the SSD is corrupt ?

That error code relates to an OS issue. RAM can sometimes cause this too, but its either a too small pagefile, corrupted RAM or a OS corruption. Reinstall Windows.

v3nes

This error has to do with an issue with Windows critical files.

Question: are you dual booting?

I would suggest a resintall as the fix is more painful.

In fact I would go as far as to say,

1. Shut down and disconnect all harddrives not used for Windows.
2. Use Killdisk to completely wipe your OS drive (assuming you have a backup)
3. Reinstall Windows clean.

Rebuild from there.

I'm not dual booting and I had reinstalled my system about 10 times. My hardware was new and I have this problem since first installation of Windows.

Have you tried unplugging the ssd and installing windows on the sata drive , in case the SSD is corrupt ?

Yes. I already said that I was trying to install windows on my ssd and hdd. First I disconnected ssd and installed on hdd then I installed on ssd and disconnected hdd. Now, I'm using both (Os installed on ssd) and still got this problem.

That error code relates to an OS issue. RAM can sometimes cause this too, but its either a too small pagefile, corrupted RAM or a OS corruption. Reinstall Windows.

I said few times that I have reinstalled my OS :) I was using different cd's including my original Windows 7 Ultimate cd.

EDIT

I will probably take all parts out and try to put it together one more time maybe I will find what is wrong. If not I will check that PSU because few people had similar problem with this one.

Last edited:

v3nes

Hey thanks for replay. I have installed chipset drivers from CD witch came with the board.

I did Prime95 blend test and I had error "fatal error rounding 0.5 expected less then 0.4". I have used memtest86 to check my RAM but I had run it for 12 hours with 7 passes and no error was found.

Is my mobo is bad or something?

I can run Prime95 for to long because my CPU temp is going really high when it reaches 70-80 degrees my computer restarts. It can jump from 45 C to 75 C in like 5 min. Is it normal? I run my cpu with stock fan which is kind of cheap. I'm using arctic silver 5 thermal compound.

btw. my computer is not overclocked. Everything except RAM voltage (1.65V) is set to auto.

Last edited: