Computer freezes at random

finsfree

Hello,

I have a custom built computer running the latest Windows 10 Enterprise. I have done every memory test, HDD test and CPU test and they have all passed.

I think I may have a motherboard issue. It's a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.001? Or could it be the video card Nvidia GeForce GTX 680?

Issues:
  1. Freezes shortly after boot up and they unfreezes
  2. Sometime it will just shut off
  3. When it does freeze up the Hard Drive (Samsung & Sandisk SSD) is pegged at 100% usage (I have change out the HDD and it still happens)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the system shuts off its either over heating or there is a hardware issue somewhere. Is the cpu fan revving up high You? You have some fairly old parts, wouldn't surprise me if it's time for a new system. Check motherboard for buldging capacitors too.

finsfree

If the system shuts off its either over heating or there is a hardware issue somewhere. Is the cpu fan revving up high You? You have some fairly old parts, wouldn't surprise me if it's time for a new system. Check motherboard for buldging capacitors

I was starting to head in that direction too.

What's the best bang for the buck. I may have to start a new tread on this topic.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you can build your own then definitely do that. Cpu availability and pricing is sporadic though. What current cpu do you have so we can suggest an upgrade.

beers

Staff member
Full power off situations are generally between electrical like PSU and thermal like overheating.

Would re-paste your CPU and test with a known good PSU. A lot of local shops will let you borrow one on their bench to isolate the component (while also requiring you to waive any responsibility of the shop for random failures).