Computer freezes randomly

Hi all,
I am facing a peculiar problem for the last 2 months with my PC.My computer just freezes randomly.It wont accept any input from the keyboard or mouse.The only way out is pressing the restart button.

I use Windows Xp pro....SP2.

For more info let me tell you that this problem is occurring since i bought a new motherboard.

Details are as follows:1)Biostar motherboard for intel processor
having
a)Display -NVidia GEforce 7050/NVidia n-force 610i
b)Nvidia n-force network adapter

2)Processor--P4,2.66GHz
3)DDR2 RAM--1 GB

The drivers are all latest and updated.
There are also no unknown devices.

The machine mostly freezes when i watch videos of any kind....videos that run smoothly on other peoples machines.Sometimes it freezes when i am browsing and it also freezes when it's idle(the last 1 has happened only twice).
But otherwise there's no other problem.
Regarding viruses and malware there are none in my comp i guess.I use norton internet security(2004) and AVG antispyware version 7.5.This problem used to occur even before these two were installed.

In the system error log the only error i find is:

Event id 29---win32time---Ntpclient failed to connect to time sources.
and
Event id 17---win32time---Ntpclient failed to connect to DNS server.

Basically, i don't have any clue what's going on.Please help me out guys.And thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gebucht

NTPclient is only the client that will synchronise the time of your PC if my memory serves me correct.

I cant see why this would be the one causing your computer to have a freeze. It must be something else.

I assume you have checked all connections ETC?

Most probably it's not due to loose connections...it occurs only when i play certain videos and then when i restart it will happen again.Otherwise, if i don't play a video the comp works just fine. I have also fixed the win32time error.So basically no error report is formed in the system log.

Gebucht

How odd, yeah, check all your cable connections, and then check that everything inside the PC is attached correctly :)

Yeah will do that and get back to you soon. Btw, if it's happening due to the VGA adapter....assuming something has gone wrong with it....then that should at least be reported in the error log....isn't it?.....some sort of error should be prompted.However, i will check the connections as you said.

Vipernitrox

if you're graphics card is dying on you this will not be noted in the error log. The error log your referring to is containing more operating system based errors. And just a few hardware fails.
if you have one lying around i would try another graphics card.

@ Viper

I think you are correct.I personally also suspected the same thing....the on board graphics card seems to be creating problems.Let me see what i can do.I still have a warranty on the motherboard though....so i will send it to the company for repair or replacement.Thanks neways.

2048Megabytes

I am having similar problems with my motherboard. I bought it new and it worked for a few months without errors but then onboard video on this motherboard started to become unstable. I would get black or gray screen system crashes. The monitor will just turn gray or black and my system will not respond to anything. Control + Alt + Delete does nothing. I end up having to push the reset or power button and reboot to get my system to work again.

It rarely happens while running any variety of programs but mainly has these crashes when I am playing video games.

I checked my event viewer and every time I get a crash it is linked to the onboard video card.

My system used to run really unstable until I downloaded the latest software video drivers from Gigabyte. It ran better with the updated drivers but it did not solve the problem as I still get freeze ups with video games. Can't wait until I can save enough for a decent video card.

ymustubother

there may be a couple more explanation for this. check the capacitors on the motherboard. if any are swolen at the top instead of a flat top then you may have your problem. heat may be another issue. make sure your fan is seated level and tight over your CPU and see if there is any thick dust anywhere. I hope this helps.

@ymustubother

i did check the capacitors....they are just fine.....regarding the fan i opened it and reset it....but still the problem persists.....let me remind you again regarding the problem.....my PC runs just fine if i dont play any movies....will run for hours without freezing.When i play movies....sometimes it doesn't freeze(mostly with DVDRip and avi's it doesn't freeze).....however, while playing certain other movies(mostly like mkv or HD Rip files or sometimes even in PDVD's) it gets busted.However,sometimes it even gets frozen with DVDRips and avi's.However,by default, mkv files always get stuck.And once such a thing happens....the keyboard and mouse stops working.The sound boxes start making sound like a drone.
However,many of my friends having onboard GeForce 6 series graphics cards can peacefully play mkv and HD Rip files.And yeah,since i don't play any games,i can't tell you whether they will run on my comp or not....but you can best assume that they won't probably.And yes....it's not a codec problem either....no virus,trojans or spywares....completely clean.If anybody has faced such a problem help me out plzzzzzzzzz.

2048Megabytes

In my opinion, it is likely your NVIDIA video card on your motherboard causing the problem. I have similar errors and crashes that you having (read my previous post). I have read somewhere NVIDIA messed up on a lot of video cards that were built into motherboards. I would look at buying a new video card to replace your likely defective one on your motherboard.

What PCI Express slot do you have on your motherboard?

@mega

I am not much willing 2 buy a graphics card....cause i don't play games....but if it's inevitable....i'll go for at max 60$ to70 $.Some guyz are even telling it's a PSU problem....can that be detected in any way?