Computer Freezes

mjm

Hello!

:( I am using windows XP. The computer was starting to hang while playing videos. I figured it was a virus of some kind and I reformated hard drive and reinstalled widows XP. I have been having a lot of trouble installing the updates and down loading programs. I am using a pentium D processor 775 socket and a seagate hard drive. It has been about three yrs since I built this thing so I really don't remember all the particulars. I think I have a virus that I have not been able to remove. I wrote O's to the hard drive prior to formating but did not help. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks: Mjm

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you formatted the drive all infections would be gone unless you have a mbr infection maybe. If you are able to boot into windows then perform this procedure.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you continue to experience problems after doing this, please post a HijackThis log by doing the following:

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

have you added any new hardware lately? Possibly a new video card or memory?

mjm

I tried the two web sites you listed and could not get a download. The computer kept hanging up while trying to download. It would start off great then just stop downloading. You mentioned that it could be a mbr infection. If this is a mbr infection how do I repair it? Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
See if you can download this and run it. This will tell us if you have an mbr(master boot record( infection.

Download and Run ComboFix
If you already have Combofix, please delete this copy and download it again as it's being updated regularly.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Combofix should never take more that 20 minutes including the reboot if malware is detected.

In your next reply please post:
  • The ComboFix log
  • A fresh HiJackThis log
  • An update on how your computer is running