Computer Freezing for Seconds at a Time

Aaron_D_E

Hello, I am in need of some type of technical support. So here is my problem.

I came home from hanging out with some friends, and went to go get on my PC (custom made). I had been on it earlier that day, only hours earlier, and it worked fine. But when I tried to run a game, it started to lag extremely bad. Now, i am not talking about normal game lag, such as wifi or frame drops, I mean the mouse was lagging as well, and pressing the windows key was impossible for a few seconds. I now cannot run any game without it lagging, and other applications that are not games. This problem now is happening throughout my whole computer when running it. Now, not nearly as bad when not running games, but the "lag" is still there.

Essentially, you try to move the mouse, the computer freezes for a few seconds, you move the mouse again it might freeze, it might not, but it is happening often enough to be problematic.

Here are the things I have noticed/tried. Firstly, I do not think it is a hardware problem. I know that it could be, and I am not taking that option away, but from what I have seen, it does not seem probable. I am leaning towards the idea that it is a driver or just software issue that is conflicting with other processes, but that's just my opinion.

- Computer does not run high in task manager when going through "lag"

- CPU/GPU do not run hot during "lag" (actually quite cool, around 50c or less)

- All additional components seem to be working: AIO cooler/fan still working, GPU fan working (and its processing capability still goes up and down which leads me to believe that it is still fully functioning), all PC fans work, HDD and SDD are not corrupted from what I have seen, PSU (while I have not done any "tests" per-say, it still boots up PC like normal), accessories are all running fine.

- PC runs in safe mode fine from what I have seen

- I have AV (bitdefender, which stops most attacks before they manifest anyways), and I ran a infection test. Nothing came up from that.

- I have updated windows, and every driver I can think of

- (While I know there are other start-up processes) All start-up processes from task manager are disabled.

I hope that gives you an idea of what I have done so far. I know I can't post everything I have tried, but feel free to ask me more questions or leave tips on how to fix this, because I am clueless to be honest.

PC SET UP:

Intel i5 6600k

MSI Motherboard (Not by it right now, so I don't remember the exact model number)

16gb of ddr4 ram

EVGA SC 1060

EVGA 120 AIO cooler

PNY 120gb SDD

WD 1tb HDD

500W EVGA Bronze PSU

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What in particular were you doing this earlier when on it? Did you leave it on or shut it down? Usually freezing up like that is a hardware issue, could be hdd/SSD. I would disconnect HDD and then boot up and see if speed is back.

Aaron_D_E

What in particular were you doing this earlier when on it? Did you leave it on or shut it down? Usually freezing up like that is a hardware issue, could be hdd/SSD. I would disconnect HDD and then boot up and see if speed is back.

So I just got done after working for about 5 hours on the whole thing.

The problem is with the pci slot I believe (I am not exactly sure because I still have to do various tests). So I swapped the GPU into the next PCI slot and it works like a charm.
It would explain most of the problems, like not being able to load graphically demanding games, or just lagging, because while it's still recognized, it is not being used very much.

Weirdest problem I have ever seen on a computer, but eh. There's the answer if anyone ever needs it.