Computer Freezing

eman82

my new computer is freezing for some reason.

I use XP Pro and at times the whole comptuer will freeze. It mostly happens when I'm out of the house and I have Winamp playing an internet stream. The computer will freeze and i'm not able to access anything and have to restart the computer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

this is the build:
-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
-CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ... - Retail
-mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996629 - Retail
-AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX - Retail
-XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
-Nippon Labs 15 ft. USB2.0 A/male to B/male cable Model USB-15-AB

JareeB

my new computer is freezing for some reason.

I use XP Pro and at times the whole comptuer will freeze. It mostly happens when I'm out of the house and I have Winamp playing an internet stream. The computer will freeze and i'm not able to access anything and have to restart the computer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

this is the build:
-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
-Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
-GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
-CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ... - Retail
-mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996629 - Retail
-AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX - Retail
-XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
-Nippon Labs 15 ft. USB2.0 A/male to B/male cable Model USB-15-AB

many its the ram cuz i read some where that windows 32 bit can only use 3.9 some of ram so ya maybe im not sure

eman82

i doubt thats the problem, it is soon after you start the computer?

It is many hours later. for Virus Protection, I use AVG Free, and it scans every night. The computer usually freezes during the afternoon. I don't notice any other problems, except the mic and headphone jack in the front are not working but I think that is a build error that I did and just have not looked at it closely.

Last edited:

JareeB

It is many hours later. for Virus Protection, I use AVG Free, and it scans every night. The computer usually freezes during the afternoon. I don't notice any other problems, except the mic and headphone jack in the front are not working but I think that is a build error that I did and just have not looked at it closely.

oh i meant will not well

eman82

usually when it freezes, winamp is play an internet stream and the computer is set up to start a screen saver after 10 minutes of no activity. The screen saver is the "3D TEXT" that is standard in XP. I do not know how long after the screen saver comes that it freezes, but the time is usually frozen on the right side of the screen. . Could it be the video card, Winamp or operating system error??

Any one have any ideas?

I run Winamp v5.56 which is the new one and Internet Explorer 8.

Last edited:

eman82

I think i'm going to buy a new hard drive, grapics card and maybe new ram. Unless anyone else has any ideas?

Pleeeease!

Before you buy anything have you started your computer on safe mode? If it does it then, then it's a hardware issue. Personally, I think it's going to be software.

If you do discover that everything operates properly in safe mode then your next step is a bit of a pain. Most likely it's going to be conflicting software so to reorganize the mess you'll have to do the following. Dump all the programs and reboot your computer in safe mode and load a program and run it and reboot in safe mode and load a program and run it, and so forth and so on, until all your programs have been loaded one by one in safe mode ensuring each one works. This will ensure that each was loaded properly and is working and was properly stored in an orderly fashion. This should fix your issue.

Oh, and are you using Spybot or some other antimalware, those are often memory hogs too.

eman82

Before you buy anything have you started your computer on safe mode? If it does it then, then it's a hardware issue. Personally, I think it's going to be software.

If you do discover that everything operates properly in safe mode then your next step is a bit of a pain. Most likely it's going to be conflicting software so to reorganize the mess you'll have to do the following. Dump all the programs and reboot your computer in safe mode and load a program and run it and reboot in safe mode and load a program and run it, and so forth and so on, until all your programs have been loaded one by one in safe mode ensuring each one works. This will ensure that each was loaded properly and is working and was properly stored in an orderly fashion. This should fix your issue.

Oh, and are you using Spybot or some other antimalware, those are often memory hogs too.

AVG Free??