Computer Freezing

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Yes yes, (progress! :p) But then you said

Which is, at the least, too broad of a comparison. :)

yah its a REALLY general statement on my part. i guess it doesn't matter if my chip is "hotter" technically...as long as the actual temps are cold i don't really mind.

hollis098

ok, I know now that it is a psu problem but i don't know what to do so if someone can tell me how to it would be great, and by the way i like to thank every body who posted a reply:D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest buying a new one, and preferably not one of those cheap generic ones. personally, I like Antecs but those OCZ powerstreams are really popular right now and I think thermaltake has a few as well

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest buying a new one, and preferably not one of those cheap generic ones. personally, I like Antecs but those OCZ powerstreams are really popular right now and I think thermaltake has a few as well
Definitely concur, some other brands to consider: Fortron, Power PC and Cooling, Vantec, Enermax, Superflower :)

Blade

i have another computer:

AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+
Jetway something
1GB generic ram
Ti4200 128MB
Maxtor 80GB

and it freezes a little too often...
1) i connect to net for about 5 mins and it freezes
2) It halfway boots and then resets
3) i do soemthign for a coupla minutes, then it resets

help me

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. List temps, idle and stressed
2. List detailed specs (mobo and psu)
3. List voltages :)

Blade

Praetor said:
1. List temps, idle and stressed
Using MBM5, i went and got food, and it sat steadily at 56 Celcius/132 Farenheit
Under stress like when it freezes, it will restart and be at about 64 Celcius...about 145 Farenheit

Praetor said:
2. List detailed specs (mobo and psu)
CPUz says that my mobo is: Jetway KT400A-8235
PSU case says: Eagle DR-B350ATX

Praetor said:
3. List voltages :)
I dunno what ya want here, but this is what the bios says...i have not over clocked, so this is

what they are

Vcore 1.66V
Vcc3.3 3.28V
+5V 4.86V
+12V 12.09V
Vbat 3.28V
5VSB 5.4V

VDIMM 2.5V
AGP VddQ 1.5V
Vcc2.5V 3.5V

Hope thats what ya wanted to hear...please help

Last edited:

Blade

Praetor said:
Whoa, i dont know iNtel too well but thats a tad high dont you think?

Im using an AMD Athlon 2600+...not an Intel

with the side panel on it rose to 65 celcius so i took it off. I have just turned the computer on and in 4 minutes it has risen from 35 to 45 celcius and still rising

Ah...what exactly should i do about these voltages?
Would it be the PSU or is that out of the question?
Any idea on a good CPU fan/heatsink, the one i have doesnt do a real lot, as you can see it still runs hot.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im using an AMD Athlon 2600+...not an Intel
Inconseqentual the comment still stands. (confusion was due to your sig)

with the side panel on it rose to 65 celcius so I took it off. I have just turned the computer on and in 4 minutes it has risen from 35 to 45 celcius and still rising
Definitely a concern ... now the question is ... you've noted the temperatures rising ... now what does it stabilize at?

Ah...what exactly should I do about these voltages?
Well if you've got adjustable pots on the PSU, then tweak them. If not then try and balance out the rails. Other than that, a new PSU is the only way.

Would it be the PSU or is that out of the question?
Its either the PSU or your rail-balancing :)

Any idea on a good CPU fan/heatsink, the one I have doesnt do a real lot, as you can see it still runs hot.
Tt Volcano12

Blade

Inconseqentual the comment still stands. (confusion was due to your sig)
sorry about the confusion, just incase, im talkin about the computer i described in post #26. But {Vcc2.5V 3.5V} you said that this was too high, how do i go about changing it, and to what should i change it?

Definitely a concern ... now the question is ... you've noted the temperatures rising ... now what does it stabilize at?
Right now, i have MSN and Mozilla Firefox running and the side panel off, it is sitting right on 50. Hasnt changed for about a half hour. Although, last night, i had MSN, Fire fox and Media Playa, and it rose to 65/66 so i took off the side, and it went back down to about 58/59.
*I can only imagine what farcry or doom 3 would do to it lol* :p

Well if you've got adjustable pots on the PSU, then tweak them. If not then try and balance out the rails. Other than that, a new PSU is the only way.
Im kind of illiterate at some things. What are adjustable pots? If they are phisically on the PSU then there are none. Sorry if thats just stupid, but PSU's arnt my specified area. How do i balance out teh rails? what should i be changing the volts. to, from what i wrote earlier.

Its either the PSU or your rail-balancing :)
Why would it be the PSU? Just not getting enough power to whats needed?

*Sorry about all the stupid questions and illiterate writing, i just have a lot of questions and family members badgering me to fix the heap of junk lol* :p

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but[vcc2. 5v 3. 5v] you said that this was too high, how do I go about changing it, and to what should I change it?
to be honest im more flabbergasted as to why its so high . mobile AthlonXPs should be running in the ballpark of 1. 4v (i don't have my AthlonXP laptop here so I can't check, 4w4k3 should know for sure though) . the fact that your options are 2. 5 and 3. 5 only is a bit disconcernning

right now, I have msn and mozilla firefox running and the side panel off, it is sitting right on 50. hasnt changed for about a half hour. although, last night, I had msn, fire fox and media playa, and it rose to 65/66 so I took off the side, and it went back down to about 58/59.
*i can only imagine what farcry or doom 3 would do to it lol*
ok theres definitely a heat issue as msn and firefox arent exactly heat generators if you will . whats the circulation system like?

im kind of illiterate at some things. what are adjustable pots? if they are phisically on the PSU then there are none.
1. if you don't know then odds are you don't have them
2. yes they are physical knobs and dials. so no you don't have them

how do I balance out teh rails?
if you look at the coords coming out of the PSU you will have three just main wires that have the standard 4-pin molex connectors (i. e. , the one u connect to cd and HDD drives etc). try not to connect a whole bunch of heavy drain devices on a single such 'rail'

why would it be the PSU? just not getting enough power to whats needed?
power = voltage x current
since you don't have direct control of the current you need to manage voltage (hence my comments/inferences towards rail balancing and voltages)

the website toms hardware guide made a video to show you what happens if you take the cooling system off different processors. its not bad! don't worry, if you have a modern P4, it won't fry.
tgh forgot a couple things
  • people who run benchmarks without any cooling, passive, active or otherwise, deserve exactly what happens to them
  • the protection feature present that kills the system is not processor depenedent but rather it is motherboard dependent -- if you have a cheap motherboard then such features may not be available or reliable
  • don't be so sure about modern P4s . cheap mobo + socket 478 Prescott (90nm 1MB) (90nm 1mb) (90nm 1mb) = trouble

divx format, if you don't have the codECS (coder decoder), get them here:
1. don't allcaps
2. irrelevant post. make a new post somewhere
3. divx isnt needed for playback when ffdshow (a) will do a superior job, (b) is free, (c) is under constant development
4. divx isnt needed for encoding when xvid and ffdshow (a) will do a superior job (especially when you start getting into multipass encoding), (b) is free and (c) under constant and open development
5. ffdshow, xvid and divx3. 11alpha will beat the living snot out of quality and performance of divx4

Blade

to be honest im more flabbergasted as to why its so high . mobile AthlonXPs should be running in the ballpark of 1. 4v (i don't have my AthlonXP laptop here so I can't check, 4w4k3 should know for sure though) . the fact that your options are 2. 5 and 3. 5 only is a bit disconcernning
no no, the option is: vcc2. 5v...thats the title thing, heading, it is currently set at 3.5, i duuno how to change and check whatever else i can use

ok theres definitely a heat issue as msn and firefox arent exactly heat generators if you will . whats the circulation system like?
i have 2 case fans brining in air, one pushin it out. i need to get a new CPU fan though, the volcano 12, coz i am using the one that came with it.

if you look at the coords coming out of the PSU you will have three just main wires that have the standard 4-pin molex connectors (i. e. , the one u connect to cd and HDD drives etc). try not to connect a whole bunch of heavy drain devices on a single such 'rail'
all i have is hardrive and CD and 1.44..which doesnt use 4 pin molex. The HHD and CD are connected throught different rails

power = voltage x current
since you don't have direct control of the current you need to manage voltage (hence my comments/inferences towards rail balancing and voltages)
ah...i do this how?