computer from work?

cameronp29

I got an old computer from my work with windows xp on it. I dont know all the specs because i havent brought it home yet to check it out. I want to use this computer only for music. Im gonna hook it up to my surround sound and only play music off of it. What is the best way to clean out the system without having to reinstall windows. i dont have an xp cd i do have a vista cd but dont want to pay for another key.

thanks

AUTOBOOT2000

Just type
msconfig and uncheck everything under startup
you can also uninstall unwanted programs and such by right clicking on the hard drive and doing a disk cleanup.

If you're going to be hooking it up to some nice surround sound I would get a soundcard.

massahwahl

VIP Member
If your only using it for music, why not just throw a light linux distro on it? That would be the fastest and easiest option.

cameronp29

ok well i never messed with linux before. can you give me some suggestion as to how i would do this? what linux do you recommend?? where do i get it??

massahwahl

VIP Member
Linux is free and as long as your comfortable installing an os you won't have many issues.

I liked Ubuntu studio, and actually I think there is a ubuntu media center edition that would probably be right up your alley. Just do a google search for it and you will find tons of info.

All you do is burn the iso to a disc and boot from the disc.

cameronp29

ok im in the process of loading ubuntu 7.04 on it right now. a friend of mine had a couple copies so i got one from him. it looked cool on the laptop he had it on so ima give it a try. is this a good linux??

you cloud use, if u didnt want to reinstall anything, C Cleaner, itll get rid off all those internet cookies and can even fix ur registry and its free!! you can also edit startup programs in it and uninstall the ones u dont need!!

larryf215

which distro you use really depends on the amount of ram you have. if you have 512 or less, ubuntu will likely need a swap partition. If you don't mind losing xp, I would try partitioning with xp still on it, and see if you can set a a dual boot. You might lose xp, but it could work

cameronp29

nah i think i want to get rid of xp all together and just go linux on this one. i was trying to install ubuntu onto the computer i booted from the cd then selected start or install ubuntu. i clicked it and i think it just started it up from the cd. it boots up right away, and i am not asked any specifics about the installation. so then i take the cd out and reboot and it boots up xp. then i put the cd back in and did the same thing all over again. what am i doing wrong.

larryf215

when, you boot from the ubuntu cd, are you getting to the desktop? the desktop should have a install icon. How much ram are you working with?

if you want media, try linux media center, takes a bit of work to set up though ill admit!!

really depends on its specs, cpu and ram mainly