Computer froze and shows black screen.

khom562

I have a desktop that was fine.. But i decided to clean it..Its been 4 years so i decided to clean it. I took the harddrive out, power supply and graphic cars. Motherboard out the case. Then put it back together into the computer case... The weird thing was after i put it back the way it was before. I turn on the computer and it froze in the setup screen.. I tried resetting it 3 times.. It still did that. So then i decided to jump the bios. After i did that and tried it again... The screen turns completely black. I didn't hear any sounds.. or beeps letting me know something is wrong.. is just pitch black.. Its on.. the fan, heatsink, Graphic card still moving.. But still no picture on the moniter

(at first i thought it was the graphic card but it wasn't that)

So does anyone know what wrong with it? i'm so confuse here.. I'm in desperate in need of help.. Any advice would be great...I just want my computer to work again.

spirit

Staff member
How do you mean 'it froze on the setup screen'? Do you mean the BIOS splash screen or the Windows boot splash?

Try taking the board out of the case and running it on top of a book or cardboard or something (not a carpet though) and see if you get a display that way. Your board my be shorting out on your case perhaps.

How do you know the graphics card is not the issue here. Did you try removing it and using onboard video?

khom562

How do you mean 'it froze on the setup screen'? Do you mean the BIOS splash screen or the Windows boot splash?

Try taking the board out of the case and running it on top of a book or cardboard or something (not a carpet though) and see if you get a display that way. Your board my be shorting out on your case perhaps.

How do you know the graphics card is not the issue here. Did you try removing it and using onboard video?

The bios screen.. The f2, del.. Then out of nowhere it stopped showing anything.

I'll try that then.

Umm the board doesn't have an onboard video.. (I wish it did)

I'm still very confused here.. how can it act out? did i do something wrong when i jump the bios?

spirit

Staff member
Try resetting the CMOS or removing the CMOS battery completely and then reinstalling it and then see if it acts up.

How did you dust the computer? Using compressed air? If so it may be likely a bit of moisture got on the board and is now causing problems.

How do you know the graphics card isn't at fault? You didn't answer my question.