Computer help - Keeps turning off randomly

NekoMizu

I bought a starter gaming computer almost two months ago (Never actually played games either) but lately it's been really... Not good. Slow and laggy. It started off good, seeing as it was a new computer, but it ended up almost as slow as the computer I am on now, which is really, really old. I decided to do the "reset without removing files" thing that windows 10 has and it worked. Uninstalled all of my things and whatever else that reset thing does.

But there's an even bigger problem than before. Not only is it extremely slow, but it keeps turning off on me. I first discovered this like 5 minutes after the resetting finished, I put in my installation disc for my wacom and then my computer turned off. I turned it back on and I tried installing it once more. Turned off again. I finally got it installed and had no problem for like 20 minutes when I had Opera and everything else installed again. I go to Google Chrome because Opera wants to not respond 90% of the time on windows 10.

I go to download skype because I didn't have the installation for it anymore, even though I had every other installation file in a folder. Turned off AGAIN. I got Skype installed and then a barrage of my computer turning off starts. I ended up just turning it on so that I can put a few files on my sd card to transfer here, only the most important things like my story, etc. I still have important things on there so if I have to do a full reinstallation of windows to fix this problem I'd have to transfer the items, but I doubt I'd be able to without losing my sanity along the way. It gives me about 5 minutes, with half of that time being dedicated to loading after I put my password in on the lock screen.

I hope this isn't a defect in my power supply or something. I could post a video on youtube showcasing what happens if needed. Also, I hate myself for this, but I got angry and punched it because I'm extremely retarded and now there's an indent. It shouldn't be TOO bad, but now I think it'll be worse. There goes any chance of a warranty.

I don't know if this belongs here but I couldn't see an area dedicated to asking for and providing help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be one of a few different things.

1. Overheating
2. failing power supply
3. Other failing hardware such as hard drive, memory, motherboard.

Is this something you bought at a store that has a warranty? If so, contact them for support. After is shuts off does it turn back on right away or do you have to wait a bit?

NekoMizu

Could be one of a few different things.

1. Overheating
2. failing power supply
3. Other failing hardware such as hard drive, memory, motherboard.

Is this something you bought at a store that has a warranty? If so, contact them for support. After is shuts off does it turn back on right away or do you have to wait a bit?

I was thinking of the first one, but most of the time, it is completely cool, sometimes warm when it does this. I hope none of the hardware is bad. It's hardly two months old, though I guess it could happen. I wouldn't know of the two last options, since I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers and I always find ways to destroy them by just using social media and anime.

This is prebuilt, I didn't buy the part individually and build it myself. I was going to upgrade it later whenever I can. Not sure what you mean by turning back on right away. It doesn't restart, like an update. It just goes out and I have to press the power button to turn it back on. I've been thinking I should probably just do a fresh reinstallation, which I can probably do now, since I collected everything that I think I need onto an SD card.

My friend said the dent shouldn't affect the performance if I do a reinstallation, I don't think the dent touches any parts, it just looks scary to me. I have a picture if needed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it was overheating, it shouldn't be turning back on right away when you press the power button, the motherboard sensor wouldn't allow it to turn back on without it cooling down. What processor do you have intel or amd? Have you ran a program to check for temps? Do you have any friends that are computer savvy? You may even have a loose connection somewhere due to vibration.

Sounds like its just gonna shut down on you when do the fresh install. Basically the same thing that the reset did.

NekoMizu

If it was overheating, it shouldn't be turning back on right away when you press the power button, the motherboard sensor wouldn't allow it to turn back on without it cooling down. What processor do you have intel or amd? Have you ran a program to check for temps? Do you have any friends that are computer savvy? You may even have a loose connection somewhere due to vibration.

Sounds like its just gonna shut down on you when do the fresh install. Basically, the same thing that the reset did.

Pretty sure it's amd. Pretty certain actually. 3.8 GHz FX-4300. No, I don't know any programs for that unless task manager does. Yeah, I have a friend who I think of as "computer savvy", though he said I might as well do a fresh install when I brought it up and asked if I should. How do I know if there's a loose connection?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How do I know if there's a loose connection?

Basically would have to open the side panel and press all the main power connectors into their slots along with ram.
I don't know any programs for that unless task manager does.

Download and run coretemp and post the results.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I wouldn't be doing a fresh install until you figure this out. If it turned off during a reset, its gonna do it during the install. You really need someone to take a look at it before its ends up worse.

So was this punch before or after it started shutting down?

NekoMizu

Basically would have to open the side panel and press all the main power connectors into their slots along with ram.

Download and run coretemp and post the results.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I wouldn't be doing a fresh install until you figure this out. If it turned off during a reset, its gonna do it during the install. You really need someone to take a look at it before its ends up worse.

So was this punch before or after it started shutting down?

I doubt my computer will stay on long enough to run coretemp. I guess I'll try it though. I don't know anyone who can look at it in person, since I'm pretty far from my friend as it is, and then I'll be moving even further away in a couple days.

Punch was after. Do I need to use screwdrivers to press the power connectors into their slots? I know ram doesn't, but I lost my screwdriver and cannot find it.

NekoMizu

No screwdrivers needed.
Okay I think I made sure nothing was loose. I can't provide anything from Coretemp because as I thought, my computer won't stay on for long enough. I did it once and screenshotted it and saved it to my desktop, but it's nowhere to be found on there, but now it won't even let me open coretemp without shutting off.

Someone on another forum suggested it is the motherboard. They said they experienced the same thing and I should replace the motherboard and re-image. They also said (And it goes without saying) that it only gets worse as it goes on, so I should buy the motherboard sooner than later. Though I wouldn't know if it is the motherboard. Also, I don't know where to find any that I can just buy. They are pretty expensive.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either see if you can get it in to get repaired via warranty or take it in and have it diagnosed. Quit spinning your wheels.