Computer Help Please!

vashonlax

So i recently purchased new parts for my new build. after i finnished putting everything together (correctly), i attempted to install my Windows XP Home Edition (too cheap to buy windows 7) and when it gets to about 34 min remaining in the download, the screen changes to a blue screen saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message appears saying how something wrong happened and it did this to prevent damage to my pc. Ive returned my Mobo and RAM and got new ones and attempted it again and this keeps happening. I dont know what to do.

Computer specs:

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2ghz AM3

-ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

-G Skill Sniper 8gb (2x4gb) 1333 RAM

-Radeon XFX HD5770 Video Card

-Samsung 320gb Spinpoint F4

-OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2

-Coolermaster HAF 922

I'm pretty frustated lol cuz ive put alota uneeded time into this i fell so if anyone knows what to do shoot me a reply.
thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have 8gb of ram and unfortunately if you are installing the 32 bit version of XP then that is your problem. XP 32 bit will only recognize up to 3.25gb of ram. You may have saved a few bucks at the time but guess what? In order to use the 8gb of ram, you will need to buy and install windows 7 64bit.

You may want to remove one of the sticks of ram and try reinstalling but you still may have issues.

Also, this may be due to bad hardware so remove anything not required to boot. Remove any addon pci cards, usb devices, etc... and try reinstalling.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like said. Pop a stick of memory out when your installing. Plus when you boot go into the bios and make sure the memory is running at default speed/timing and voltage.

vashonlax

So if i put that hard drive into another computer and finnish installing windows xp (half installed) then upgrade to windows 7 64 bit, could i just then take that hard drive out and re-put it back into my new one?

thanks again, you guys saved me $100.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, you must install windows with the drive installed in the pc thats its going to be used on. You can't install while in another pc and transfer it to a different one, it won't work.

vashonlax

Damn! lol what are my possible solutions then? XP is half loaded and in order to continue, and i have to finnish the download inorder to do anything. like even if i try to put another disc in it says "reinsert disc to continue" or whatever. is there any possible way i can just erase the mem on the hardrive with out installing it?

thanks again.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You must boot to the cd and delete existing partitions, then repartition, format, then install windows.