Computer is shutting itself off.

Bob32014

My 8 year-old desktop (i7 3rd gen. 8GB Ram SSD) all of a sudden just quit.
If I leave it sit for a while, it will start up and then makes a short squeek and dies again.
Is this overheating?
There is nothing new installed on the motherboard other than a new SSD about 2 months ago.
It's not overclocked.
Dust is minimal. The little 30mm motherboard fan is making some noise lately (working though) so I ordered a new one but it hasn't arrived yet.
There is a huge heatsink on the chip that I put on 7 years ago.
Is it time for a new system?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check cpu temps with real temp. This short squeek, you need to find out where that noise is coming from.

Bob32014

I don't think I can check the temps if it shuts off as soon as it comes on.
I put my ear down there but it's very hard to figure where the squeek is coming from. It would be nice if it was a mouse caught in the fan, but I don't see that either.

Bob32014

If I get a new computer, can I just plug my 2TB SSD into the new motherboard and use the SSD that comes with the computer for my Windows 10? I don't have to migrate my data from my SSD to the SSD in the new computer?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It might be time to reapply thermal paste. Have you removed the heatsink without reapplying the thermal paste? If so, then thats the problem. Once removed you have to remove existing with isopropyl alcohol and reapply new. Also, any type of hardware issue can cause the system to shut down.
If I get a new computer, can I just plug my 2TB SSD into the new motherboard and use the SSD that comes with the computer for my Windows 10?
As long as you only have personal data such as pictures, music, documents, etc. on the drive then thats fine but if you have games or apps installed to that drive then you'll have to reinstall everything.

Bob32014

It probably was the PSU.........Follow up: It occurred to me that this whole thing happened a couple of hours after I sprayed a little silicon lube on the motherboard fan that was making noise.
The fan sat right over some MB, power supply components. I took everything apart and removed the MB and cleaned the area I had sprayed by dabbing alcohol on the area and letting it dry.
Put the video card back in and plugged in a monitor and it came right back to life.
The PSU kept shutting itself off to protect itself from dummies like me trying to ruin the computer.
Of course I bought a new computer from Dell before I figured all this out.
Now I've got a new desktop computer coming in the mail. i7 10th gen.
I'll probably try to sell the old one for parts on eBay since it's got an ASUS gaming motherboard and Viper memory and 520 watt power supply and a EVGA graphic card, etc. (not that I ever used it for gaming).
Ironically, I've probably got better components (except for the chip) in the old computer than are coming from Dell.
bp

Bob32014

Wow, what a difference in the last 8 years in desktops. The new one from Dell arrived. It's half the size. no more DVD-HD bays so no more wires going all around the inside of the box,, the SSD is the size of a postage stamp. Luckily it has a socket for my video card and my extra USB ports card. And cables for my 2TB SSD.