Computer just keeps beeping

Doire

When switching on my computer it beeps, i know these beeps are meant to signify what kind of error there is. It is beep after beep, the same beep done continuously no variation. Im using Windows XP.

The screen is blank, nothing comes up.

Thanks.

Trizoy

VIP Member
There are 2 types of beeps I have run across. The easy to understand and the harder...
The easy one can beep 1-10 times and is a simple beep with each beep taking the same amount of time. Also having the same amount of time between each beep.

The harder method to hear is a series of beeps grouped together. So the beep code 3-2-4 would beep 3 times with a regular interval between... then a longer beep.. then 2 more beeps... the a long beep again than 4 beeps again. Give us the code and we can tell you approx what kind of problem your having...

Doire

The beep i hear is just ONE BEEP then a pause then the SAME BEEP then a pause then the SAME BEEP and so on and on..........

Doire

Dont know the motherboard. I work as a tech in a company and the pc is quite an old one. I havent opened up the PC yet. I hust want to know what the beeps could be first.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
we need to know what the motherboard is, different boards/brands have different error codes. download CPU Z and itll tell you what motherboard you have

Doire

When i turn the PC on....the screen is blank...i cant see a thing...and i just get the beeps. Your download will be of little use.

atomic

all i can think of is remove all the none necessary hardware so your left with just what the computer needs to boot up (including one memory module)...try it, if it doesnt work replace that module with another you took out (if you have more than 1) try it....trial and error.

EDIT: the name of your motherboard would be nice though! :cool:

homeboy

banned
find ur cmos jumper..
and then take it off and move it on 2 the pin it is not on at the moment then turn it on and fix the problem im bios then put the jumper bak

ex.
jumper now..
.)
.)

after u move it

.)
.)

Doire

Thnaks for all the help guys. I just took everything out and put it all back in again. The problem has been fixed. :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
find ur cmos jumper..
and then take it off and move it on 2 the pin it is not on at the moment then turn it on and fix the problem im bios then put the jumper bak
You'll also need to pop the battery or that'll mean nothing

I just took everything out and put it all back in again. The problem has been fixed.
you'd be surprised how often that works hehe