Computer just will not shutdown

scottyboy20033

Hello there, I have a ongoing problem when trying to shutdown my PC :eek:

It has Windows XP Home - SP2 and when I go Start>Turn off>Turn off as usual it Logs off, Saves Settings, then when it appears with a message : "Windows is shutting down..." it freezes and no matter how long i leave it, it won't switch off. I end up having to hold down the power switch on the front of my PC for 10 seconds to turn it off - not good when your in a hurry!

I have tryed to change the WaitToKillAppTimeout from 20000 to 40000 with no luck.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!! :confused:

prodigio2k

i think you need to go to power management or something,i saw someone get ridd off this problem before,,,,,so give me a day ,ill be back tomorw with the answer,,okey pa

anubis

either that or just switch it off at the plug

it should not delete any data but you may have to run scan disc to see if there are any probs

scottyboy20033

prodigio2k said:
i think you need to go to power management or something,i saw someone get ridd off this problem before,,,,,so give me a day ,ill be back tomorw with the answer,,okey pa

Thanks V much for both your suggestions - if u could get back to me prodigio2 that would be great ;)

canuck

I can't hunt it down now, but I remember seeing an article in the KB articles at microsoft.com, go there and do a search in their knowledge base about your problem there is a fix. I think it has to do with a 2 second pause thar needs to be added into the shutdown sequence..good luck. post again if you haven't got any results

The-Llamalizer

Hey scottyboy20033, i had the same problem with my comp, and you know what it was? It had a corrupt vid card, bad mobo, and ill performing chip. It would just not shut down, EVER! Then I took it to a local guy and he put new parts in it and it works fine. From your description, I'd say you have some bad components to you PC my friend.
What you can do to help the problem for a little while, is go to start menu, click run, and type in msconfig, and in XP Home, under the startup tab, nothing needs to be checked. Unchekc em all even your virus scan that helped me for awhile, maybe it will help you.

Last edited:

scottyboy20033

Maybe

:eek: The-Llamalizer you maybe right, i have been experiencing problems with my Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 - when it loads up high performance games like URU - Ages beyond myst or The Sims 2 - the graphics and sound are rubbish and blurry with rainbow colours and duplicate images - i end up having to ALT+TAB out of the game and entering the game again from the taskbar for it to work as normal :(

Bobo

banned
My computer sometimes does the same thing as scottyboy's. but if I hit shutdown, standby, or restart, it always tries to standby and freezes at the standby screen

prodigio2k

no, its not that bad, ll tell him tomorow,how to get rid of that,my friend knows how to,,ill ask him tomrow at work, okey,so by 4 in the afeternoon aill tell you................its a very comond problem on windows 98, but it sometimes affect xp

Bobo

banned
BTW, mine is brand new, but it is a stupid Compaq mobo, and I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that.....

prodigio2k

HEY i tallked to the guy,,,you have to right click your desktop-choose properties,,, on top choose "screen saver",, look in the botom it show be a button that you can press label "power" , a box will pop up, and choose on the top "usp" check it,if is not uncheck,,and unckeck it if its check,,get me?????,,this should solve the problem.try it and tell me how it went

Bobo

banned
prodigio2k said:
i need to proff read stuff before i type huh..lol

Yeah, you,, seem to,,, have, a slight ,,comma problem,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

No hard feelings.....

My friend types 80 words a minute with a 15% accuracy.

I type 15 words a minute with 95% accuracy

prodigio2k

lol,,yea its ups,or what eva you found similar to that,,he told me over the phone,so information gets cahnge,,,,ummm,, try that,,i dont what difference it makes but thats what he does,,,aight,,,i hoped i help,,if not,i can tell him to speak to you directly

Bobo

banned
prodigio2k said:
uhhh i actually speak that way, thats why i used commas, i cant help it.peace

How do you speak multiple commas?

PEACE on earth and good will to all

HAPPY HANAUKAH (no i'm not Jewish, but I try to be nice)

Bobo

banned
prodigio2k said:
anyways, did that solve your problem bobo( you should really look that up in spanish)

no

Why? I am taking spanish in school

You never answered my Q about how you speak multiple commas... :p

prodigio2k

i pause alot,= ,,,,,,,,...and bobo in spansih is dumbAZZ, stupid, Animal, in mexico i think it means sucker,,,,,anyways, im outs for twoday,peace.