Computer keeps freezing or restarting

Calel53

My computer keeps restarting or freezing up on me. All my parts are fairly new nothing is more than 4 years old. I was trying to play a steam game a few weeks ago and kept having problems with the graphics of the game and to reset my computer a few times and it crashed and I lost about a week's worth of files when I finally got it up and running again but since then it been doing this. I did a reinstall of windows 10 but it seems like the problem has gotten worse. I tried removing ram and resetting it but this just seems to be a temporary fix and I did a text on it and it revealed it was fine.

beers

Staff member
That test is fairly worthless, I'd make a boot disk of memtest86+ and run that for a couple passes

Calel53

I have two 8 gb blue corsair vengeance stick and two red 16 gb ones. Just restored it with one of the red ones and it seems to be doing fine so far.

My hard drive is 3 years old 1 tb and a 2 tb back up. My mobo is a year old Asus M5A97 r2.0 the 16 gn sticks of ram are a few months old and the blue are a few years. Year old graphics card pny 900 I think and psu is a few years old I think it's 1000 watts of power.

The resetting was a hard reset of my computer cause the game I was trying to run would pop up black screened and I couldn't get it to return to my desktop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calel53

Been running mem test for 8 hrs now and no errors and checked my hard drive and it passed all tests. Problem seems to stop for a while after either reinserting graphics card and ram

Calel53

Could it be a power supply problem as I noticed the fans on my GPU only works sometimes I do have an extra one I can switch out that is a few hundred watts lower

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On some cards, the fans won't spin unless the temp gets to a certain degree. My R9 380 will do that. So you have a gtx 960 and a 1000watt psu? Wow, way overkill. Could be using a decent 500 watt unit technically a 430watt but 500 watts give you some headroom. Who built the pc? Just wondering if you installed the standoffs between motherboard and case correctly? You could build it outside of the case and see how it reacts. What exact power supply do you have?

Calel53

I'm not home so I can't give you the power supply unit yet but I built it and had no problems for a year until a few weeks ago I kept having graphic problems with a steam game and I had to restart my computer a few times. After this my video player wouldn't work and It kept popping up at startup that my computer encountered a problem and had to repair and kept sending me to repair page and after some messing around I finally got it to boot to menu and then this started when I was playing xcom 2 on steam. Since then I reinstalled windows and it happens at restart unless I take out ram and GPU and then reinsert it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What motherboard do you have? What bios version does it have? Too many variables here. If removing ram and video temporarily fixes it, sounds like a board issue.

Calel53

My mobo I put in the earlier post and it's only a year old. It doesn't seem like there's any bulges or leaks in it. It only temporarily fixes the issue though

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about that, looks like bios version 2603 is the latest. Find out what version you have. There has been a lot of system stability updates for that model. I would definitely update bios if you are behind.

Calel53

I'll check the bios and update them as need be but wouldn't that have fixed itself after reinstalling ios. Ran 3 passes on ram and no error but I ran a scan on my hard drives and my main hard drive passes all test but my 2 tb backup has ultra dma crc errors. My psu is a cx 750m

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What about disconnecting the backup drive? If that has read/write issues then that could be the cause of the lag.