Computer keeps reboooting

tonymaclennan

I have a problem with my desktop computer.
When I start it up, it go to the screen where I select the operating system, and has a 30 second timer. This is usual since I installed XP Pro from Home, but then a screen comes on saying:
"We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this..."
I chose the options on screen "Starts windows normally", "Start in safe mode", and "Last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)", then the following screen would come on where it shows the bar with squared flashing acrosss and says Windows XP Professional, the loading screen as usual, but then all of a sudden the computer reboots itself without promping us, or loading windows.

I inserted the XP Pro CD to try restore using that but it didn't load it, I think it checks for the CD later on at loading.
I also pressed F10 for system recovery but it does the same.
I can get into set-up by pressing F1, that works.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on, and how it should be resolved?

Any help appreciated.
Thank You

jesbax

i had the same problem. what finlly had to do is reinstall windows completely. and after i did that is worked fine.

tonymaclennan

jesbax said:
i had the same problem. what finlly had to do is reinstall windows completely. and after i did that is worked fine.

Thanks for your reply but how do i re-install windows if the computer wont start. I have inserted the CD then started the computer but I dont think it looks for a CD start up until later on in the loading process as it dosn't change anything when the CD is entered.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
tonymaclennan said:
Thanks for your reply but how do i re-install windows if the computer wont start. I have inserted the CD then started the computer but I dont think it looks for a CD start up until later on in the loading process as it dosn't change anything when the CD is entered.

You need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that your cd drive will boot before your HDD or floppy drive.

tonymaclennan

SFR said:
You need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that your cd drive will boot before your HDD or floppy drive.

Any more info?
I pressed F1 at start-up and went to the 'boot' screen, selected 'Boot Device Priority', the order there was 'floppy', 'CD Rom', 'Hard Disk' and 'LAN', I then put CD Rom at the top but still had the same problem.
Any more info or advice ?

Thanks