COmputer keeps restarting need help

Don't Hack!!!

New Member
My comp keeps restarting... no it's not a virus cause it doesnt even boot. it starts up for about 10 seconds then reboots i don't even make it to the boot screen screen. What could be wrong?
 
Perhaps it's a faulty PSU? Cause now when i plug in the power cord in the back it starts up for about 2 seconds then restarts over and over and over again. I don't want to do a swap until i'm positive it's the psu
 
idk if this would help but, try restarting the bios?

i done it once and it helped out. (bios jumper)

do it at your own risk tho i'm not gonna take any blame >.<
 
you sure?? XD sounds dangerous... i will try removing the battery... and put it back in but it's not my comp... i'm fixing it for 40 bucks.. and it's turning out to be alot more trouble than i expected : ( i think i wanna charge like 75 now XD
 
Remove the cmos battery from the motherboard, remove the power cord from the PS, push the power button on the case a few times to discharge the motherboard, wait a minute and then put the battery back in and reconnect power and see what happens.
 
omg.. for a split second i thought the problem was fixed... i spammed F2 to get into bios... checked the dates.. i think i reset it cause it was back to the time 01/01/04 and Hyper threading was set to off. So i think i did reset the memory but... then it restarted again and now its the same... thing boots for 2 seconds then restarts.. i took the battery out again and now i'm gonna wait longer around 10 minutes then put it back in... theres a jumper on there but i think i prefer the battery method.
 
i'm really worried about the "timing" of the reboot. IT just reboots the second i turn it out and spazzzz reboots with variation of 1-2 seconds random
 
Try disconnecting all hardware not needed at bootup and see what happens. Disconnect the hard drive.
 
the guy doesnt fiddle with the comp i'll check the ram to make sure. I'll disconnect the HDD and CD drives...

*update* Dunn dunn dunn I just went to best buy to talk to some geek squad guy cause you guys were too slow to respond : P the guy says it sounds like over heating problem.. he told me the cpu must be over heating. I countered with the fact that the fan still runs fast and well. I just cleaned the dust out of it too. The computer was working well just the other day and today just died on me.
 
I mean i think it could be the PSU fan but that thing still spins and some air comming out but not at all. And if the PSU was over heating... i doubt it would even start up in the first place
 
Mine did this to me and i fixed it... Make sure both sticks of RAM are in the right slots!


OMG YOU HELPED ME! solve my problem... I think.... I listened to you and tried pushing the ram making sure it was tightly in but to my mistake.. it was loose... and when i booted again.... the comp stayed on but of course i got the 3 beeps from the bios saying ram is faulty
 
nevermind it's not the ram i replaced it but still faulty reboots

im gonna remove the cpu fan now and check for thermal paste and proper bondage
 
When you said that it reboots "1t 1-2 seconds random", does that mean that the time varies? This is a big clue, because that means it's probably not hanging on a specific part of the bios. It does sound like a hardware problem.

Check the motherboard for blown capacitors. This pic tells what to look for. Keep in mind that is there's one with a bulged top, even if it's not leaking anything, it's bad.

close-up.jpg
 
good point but all the capcitors are fine : ) fortunately.. i don't want to explain to the guy he needs a new mobo. That would be a major headache.

Strangely i'm still hung up with the geek squad guys response of over heating.. after removing the cpu fan my god. So much freakin dust was clogging the heat sink. It just wasn't visible with the giant funnel and fan in the way.

With further inspection i noticed that the thermal paste.. isn't so pasty it's actually pretty dry and think... idk whether the consitancy of thermal paste is suppose to be so dry or not. So i figure after i througly clean the fan and heat sink and fresh new thermal paste on it i'll give it another whirl

EDIT: I felt the thermal paste its actually pretty dry like very dry it almost crumbles. I think this coupled with the fact that even though the fan was spinning hard it was blowing into a clogged heat sink, made the processor over heat.

I would love to be debunked if possible. I'm only receving 40 USD for fixing this damn thing XD i want to get it over with A.s.a.p
 
Last edited:
not sure but you can try reconnect everything from mobo to psu to HDD etc..

Hopefully since i start my 6 month work experience with a company fixing computers, I'll ask my mentor about it over the phone later and see if he knows what to do.

anyways good lucka nd i hope you fix it in the mean time
 
No, the thermal paste should be thin and evenly spread across the cpu. Try cleaning the old stuff off the cpu and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol and spread new, about the size of a grain of rice and spread it evenly, then reattach the heatsink and try booting up.
 
Roger on the thermal paste application. I'll check out my local best buy tomorrow afternoon. and give you guys updates. I feel bad asking for more money from the poor KFC worker who asked me to fix his comp XD
 
Geek Squad: 1 Computer Forum: 0

: O looks like the geek squad dude was right. I applied new thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink and the thing stops rebooting...

Although... now it reboots when i try and install a fresh copy of windows...

I'm thinking it's a faulty disk so i'm burning a new one again at 32x instead of 48x to reduce the chance of error
 
Back
Top