Computer Locking Up

Over the last year or so, my computer would lock up when I first turned it on. Now, it is getting worse. The computer has to be warmed up for about 30 minutes before I can do any type of work on it with out it freezing. If it does, I have to do a hard re-boot in order to get it going again. I tried narrowing it down to a particular software, but it does not matter what I am using, Outlook, Chrome, Word, etc. Looking for suggestions. Below are the specs. I built this in 2009 and unless there is a date in parenthesis, that is the age of the part.

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
MB: Foxconn BloodRage GTI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (May 2016)
Display: Samsung U28E510D 4K Ultra HD Monitor (July 2017)
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 380 R9-380P-4255 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Double Dissipation XXX OC Video Card (May 2016)
Optical: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support Model AD-72141S-OB
Heatsink: Prolimatech - Megahalems CPU Cooler - 775 / 1366 / 1156 - Rev B
Fan for Heatsink: COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan

AlienMenace

I you ever consider replacing your thermal paste between the heat-sink and chip.
And naturally run anti-virus and malwarebytes. And defrag the hard drive, in less you have SSD drive. then don't defrag that. Just a thought.

Thanks. I've run the anti-virus and malwarebytes multiple times and that didn't help. Yes, I have a SSD drive so I cannot defrag. I guess that leaves replacing the thermal paste. I thought that maybe one of the components might be going bad, which is why I included the dates.

I have a couple of questions regarding the thermal paste. Should I scrape the old stuff, prior to putting the new on? Also I live in a small town where there are no electronic stores. Do I have to order the paste on line, or is there something that I can use that might be sold at a place like Target? Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't have a computer store near you, order a small tube of arctic silver 5. And yes you'l need to remove existing thermal paste with rubbing alcohol. Apply a small drop size of a pea in the center and install heatsink.