computer locks up over night

bluemiata90

I'm very new to computers, but it seems that even computer stores can't figure out the problem I'm having.
I have a Pen.II with windows XP. About 3 months ago, shortly after I installed DSL, my computer started to lock up overnight. Every morning I'd have to reboot it. I've taken it to 2 different computer stores and they've checked for viruses, cleaned the harddrive, installed additional anti-virus software, double checked the DSL install and lastly installed a new cooling fan on some chip on the inside. They said the chip was probubly overheating. All this time and money has still not resolved my problem and every morning I still have to reboot it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a very illiterate new computer user. I'm very tired of taking it in and spending money for zero results and everytime I complain, all I get is attitude like I've insulted them.(no refunds)
PLEASE HELP
scott

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have power saving features that kick in? WXP has a couple fairly serious flaws when it comes power saving states :) (and they've got fixes for it)

kb1ghc

I had the same problem on a PII running linux that i was using as a server, I think it might be power supply related somehow, because some how the power supply ended up going.