Computer making weird noise on start up.. HELP (FIXED)

mikeisthename56

Hey guys- this is my first post on a forum. Im sure one of you guys can help :D

But basically- I just built a gaming pc- All the parts were NEW and I took every single safety precaution before building this tower. So When I finished building it- it worked like a charm. So nothing went wrong and It ran smoothly, etc,etc. But then after 2 weeks- When I booted the pc again- it made a weird noise from the fan- it starts of slow then it gets louder- then it fades of and repeats until I log on then it stops! Its kinda annoying and I just spent alot of money on this thing! I don't think it has to do anything with overheating etc,etc. As I purchased a new side panel that has two fans installed which is connected to the cpu- I did further investigation and found out that none of the normal fans were making the noise! It was the cpu fan!
But I can't think of anything that will stop this from happening! Please help guys! Thanks <3

EDIT: Wait GUYS, its not the cpu fan- its the GPU fan!!!!! I CANT REPLACE MY GPU!! I cant afford to!

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Did you make sure there aren't any cables hitting it? Sometimes a wire will get stuck in it and make the noise.

Are you saying when you login into the computer, it stops? Logging in to what, Windows?

mikeisthename56

Did you make sure there aren't any cables hitting it? Sometimes a wire will get stuck in it and make the noise.

Are you saying when you login into the computer, it stops? Logging in to what, Windows?
Yep logging onto my account on windows- I thought it was the wires too- but no wires in sight.

So idk what to do :(

Last edited by a moderator:

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
It's possible the bearing on the fan is bad or loose, causing it to wobble/vibrate when the fan needs to turn quicker during higher CPU load. What specific fan is it?

mikeisthename56

It's possible the bearing on the fan is bad or loose, causing it to wobble/vibrate when the fan needs to turn quicker during higher CPU load. What specific fan is it?
It's a intel cpu cooler like this one: http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1060/core_i5_hsf2.jpg

It does make an almost unoticable grinding noise when I use it normally- could that back up your theory?

Last edited by a moderator:

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's most likely the bearings on the fan taking a pooper on you.

Intel's stock HSF sucks anyways... you're better off getting an aftermarket one.

mikeisthename56

That's most likely the bearings on the fan taking a pooper on you.

Intel's stock HSF sucks anyways... you're better off getting an aftermarket one.
Hmm damn.. You may be correct- I don't wanna spend any more cash yet- I know they might be cheap but I wanna be sure thats the problem! Thanks for your help :)

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well, if it's a new build, you might be able to RMA your HSF to Intel. Not sure how that works though as I've never gone through an RMA process with Intel.

mikeisthename56

Well, if it's a new build, you might be able to RMA your HSF to Intel. Not sure how that works though as I've never gone through an RMA process with Intel.
Damn man- you gotta provide your phone number address and pretty much your personal information for that ( At least to do it the right way) .. I need a quick fix..

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's usually controlled in the Bios. You can take a look in there to see where it's located. Look for something like "SmartFan" in the Bios.

mikeisthename56

That's usually controlled in the Bios. You can take a look in there to see where it's located. Look for something like "SmartFan" in the Bios.
You won't believe what just happend man!!! Let me just give you an inside story before I tell you alright- Im no pc expert- I barely managed to build the pc- but I did a very good job.

Alright So i went into the bios- I was presented with some settings- Alright I couldn't find smartfan- so I checked other things out- I found OC tuner or Oi tuner what ever its bloody called- I enabled that - for reasons I don't know. Then my computer turned of suddenly- it tried to turn its self back on- but then turned of - this happend 3 times until it finally turned on- I quickly went back onto the bios and reset it to its old settings- but I disabled the extra performance setting- and the problems gone! But that was the worst experience EVER! i thought my computer broke- £500 was gone- but fortuantley it didn't.. OMG IM SUCH A BLOODY NOOB.

Darren

Staff member
I've had brand new Intel HSF's be dead out of the box. Just replace it. They're garbage anyway, your ears and air conditioning bill will thank you anyway.

Reactions: C4C

mikeisthename56

I've had brand new Intel HSF's be dead out of the box. Just replace it. They're garbage anyway, your ears and air conditioning bill will thank you anyway.
Alright, what do you recommend for my pc? Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel core i5 3570k @3.40 ghz
RAM: 8gb
GPU: asus nvidia geforce gtx 650 directcu top 1gb
Monitors: 2x 1920x1080 monitors