Computer Nightmares

jamesd1981

nothing really to bad, worst ive had is ive bought a few desktops that on paper seemed good buy, and problem i ended up with apparently there are systems out there that had motherboards made specifically for hp, from a variety of mboard makers i.e. msi, gigabyte, and they had a couple of drivers missing !

neither hp or the board makers take responsibility for support, hp say it was made for them but isn`t down to them to support it, and the board makers say they made the board but only for hp so its not down to them to support it.

leading to the problem you cannot find any replacement drivers and what is others wise a good system is as good as useless.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing really bad here either...but

Molex connections = Computer Nightmares for me.

I hate the things,I wish they would change them.

salvage-this

+1 for Molex connectors. I cut myself on one while building my friends computer. We ended up spending a 15 min getting blood off his motherboard.

My laptop is kinda dead. After about a month of trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I realized that it works after warming up. So I need to boot it and let it fail 5 or 6 times or just hold it on the grub loader for 3 or 4 minutes before I boot it.

tech savvy

well,hmmm... befor i start i will like to state that i was the kind of kid that liked to take things apart to see how they worked,so here goes.about 10 years ago when i was around 15 my mom was at work and i decided to take her laptop completely apart(now this laptop is only like 3 months old at the time) to see how it worked, and could never get it back together.let me tell you, i was fking scared that my mom was going to flip out,she made me work all summer to repay her for that damn laptop.i never did that sh!t agian and learned my lesson,lol.

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
I once fed my computer after midnight......it turned into a gremlin and burnt down my house

Russ88765

Can't start the thing without getting black screens and repeated error messages in the boot screen. It eventually starts after crashing and freezing for an hour or so.

Mitchell

I tried to dual-boot xp and 7 on the same machine, and I bricked it for about a month. I did it in the wrong order, 7 then xp, and 7 would't load. it was only after i got a 3rd party partition manager that i could access the recovery partition and get back in to 7. This is why you shouldn't mess with oses! LOL

zombine210

I once fed my computer after midnight......it turned into a gremlin and burnt down my house

LOL :D

the worst thing about helping others is they want things done fast and perfect. had one lady with a broken power plug on a laptop. i ordered the piece, but they sent me the wrong one. she was from out of town so i had to solder the old one back so she can leave. had to work around a bunch of glue.

maybe somebody had gone in there before me or that's how it came from the factory, but I hate HP laptops now :mad:

the nightmare part is she kept calling every few hours asking for it... then she'll talk about other problems she had with it and wanted me to fix those as well.

Last edited:

NVX_185

Electric shock for me.

Could you explain how this happened, and what happened? PSU's are the worst if you ever get a shock from them (if you decide to open them, that is), they have enough voltages to kill about 3 people.

My worst experiences are with CABLE MANAGEMENT. I hate cases with a back panel that has no contours to allow for the cables at the back. And eventually I have to bring some to the front because there's not enough room at the back. If you're gonna have a computer that performs well, it's gotta look good too!

lucasbytegenius

Hmm, I've had too many to count.
Let's see-knocked laptop off of a case and the power connector shoved the socket in and chipped the mboard.
Threw my Dell Axim X30 high into the air after the touch screen stopped working, and cracked the screen. I later learned that if I hadn't cracked the screen I could have paid $5 for a replacement touch overlay, instead of $40 for a whole new screen.
Installed Kubuntu 10.10 which lacked the option of not installing the GRUB bootloader as was included in earlier versions, so I ended up overwriting my MBR and then when I deleted the Kubuntu partition, I was unable to boot my system and after many hours of frustration at the command line in a LiveCD I finally just reinstalled Ubuntu 10.10 back onto its partition.
Then I accidentally lost my Wubi installation while uninstalling programs manually ;), lost some important files.
Dropped my screwdriver into my machine while it was on, it shorted and shutdown. It survived, though :D Darn thing has had a screwdriver fall in it twice now, the first time was when my friend did it and he gave me the machine because he couldn't get it to turn on, which I found was due to the PSU ;)
And I'm with everyone about the Molex connectors, I haven't torn myself open on them thankfully, but I tore several straight off the wires with pliers while trying to get them out of several hard drives.

Last edited: