Computer noise

lahatte

I have a similar issue and thought this might be a good spot to post it.

I have a new system built with a Gygabyte Gaming 7 Z170X motherboard, using the on-board graphics (no additional video card. I have tried 2 USB audio interfaces (Focusrite and Steinberg), and both put out this computer noise that happens when the computer seems to be transferring data around. It doesn't matter what USB port I try. See this video for the sound, turn up volume, it's faint.

http://www.claylahatte.com/studio/Issues/Computer/Noise/System_Noise_Over_USB.mp4

Any ideas?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That's a really bad video so I can't tell what is going on.

You mean you're hearing interference through the audio device or what?

mistersprinkles

Not much you can do about noise on the USB besides trying to isolate it out with something like an Uptone Audio Regen. It's possible that something as cheap as an Audioquest Jitterbug would work, but it's not as effective.
Did you use proper standoffs, the IO backplate, and plug everything into a properly grounded outlet?

Does your motherboard have more than one SATA controller? If so, try moving your drives over to ports controlled by the other controller to see if that helps.

Okedokey

Sounds like a ground loop issue. Remove all usb devices until you isolate which one is causing the issue. If that fails, ensure you don't have a shitty PSU that is causing noise and then look to trying a different power socket. Failing all that you can buy ground loop isolators.