Computer noob with PC problems...

dnr7

Seeking: help for my Dell Dimension 4550. :confused:

I installed a new video card (e-GeForce FX5200 256MB) and new ram (2x 512mb kingston sdram 333mhz? (kinda guessing)) and after a few difficulties (wouldn't turn on, removed old card, tried, nothing, walked away, came back, was on, put new in) it worked for awhile (!?!?). But today it simply wouldnt turn on...LED didn't turn on...nothing. I replaced the old video card--still nothing.

What happened? (im not good with computers btw)
-Needs more power?
-Wrong stuff?
-Zapped via static electricity or bad parts and it declined over the days to the point of not-working?

Also,
-Do I need to provide more information?

Thankyoo.

dnr7

Here's whats on the acknowledgement:

Dimension 4550 Series Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.53 GHz

I see nothing specifically stating that its a motherboard. Its just what I reckoned. I do not see anything else about a motherboard...is that it? How can I check?

Thankyoo.

zilla

Having worked tech support for a semester while I was in college (you'd think college students were smarter...lol), I gotta ask you this question...

Have you made sure that everything is plugged in properly?

Sometimes the simplest solution is the one that works.

:D

i picKed a winna

there are diagnostic lights on the back of your computer ABCD and if you look in your dell computer manual it tells you like if a and b are lit up then this is the problem etc..maybe that will help

4W4K3

VIP Member
Did you try putting the old RAM in with the new Vid card? It sounds as if the computer is refusing the RAM and you are thinking it's the video card. Dell's can be picky on some RAM's...i know mine was lol.

dnr7

I guess I'll try taking the ram out...but if these are the causes then why did it work before?

Also, winna: no lights come on the back of the computer when I plug it in.

If I broke something big like a motherboard or a power supply, how much do they cost to be replaced?

Thankyoo.