computer not loading software

kbkids

I am trying to install Turbo Tax tonight, and it won't work for some reason. I'm fairly competent with a computer, but I don't have a clue what's wrong.

I tried it through "auto-run" (inserting the disk and letting it start on its own).
It will start with the "Installshield Wizard", user agreement (I agreed), assigned it to a folder, but then when it gets to a section called "searching for components" - I think that's what it said - it just stops.

So I try going through Run - D://Setup.exe - same thing happens.

I tried turning off Norton - thinking maybe it's blocking something - same thing happens.

Turned Norton back on - rebooted computer - tried again - same thing.

We've got Windows XP, and I have noticed on the Minimum System Requirements - Windows 2000 or higher, you must have administrative rights to install or update TurboTax.
Is this my problem? What do I do?

Lax

VIP Member
You sure it stops and isn't just taking a long time to look for what's already installed? Some computers (even fast ones) take a long time anyway.

kbkids

Well, I guess that's possible - my computer can be slow at times, especially lately, and even more so when we installed Norton.

I'll try again and just let it sit for awhile and see. The reason I felt it was stopping though was that my CPU just gets quiet (no normal crackling :) noises, lights are not flashing), and my arrow pointer (can't think of the technical term), which is usually an hourglass sign or sometimes a disk while the computer is working on something, shows the normal arrow sign.

I'll have to try again though and see what happens.

Lax

VIP Member
Well for 1 if your CPU is crackling that's not normally a good thing. I think you may just mean the HDD is not reading/writing. Also you might want to check your machine for adware/spyware/virus's if it runs slow at times for no reason. I suggest www.trendmicro.com for the virus scan (Run the house call free scan) and download the trial version of Spysweeper and update the defs. and run that to get any spyware/adware it finds. (Other people may suggest Spybot or Ad-Aware but IMO they don't do as well as SS).

weixifan

We've got Windows XP, and I have noticed on the Minimum System Requirements - Windows 2000 or higher, you must have administrative rights to install or update TurboTax.

I think you DO need the administrative rights to install this, but I don't think that's the source of your particular problem. Log in as a user with admin. rights anyway.

The reason I felt it was stopping though was that my CPU just gets quiet (no normal crackling noises, lights are not flashing)

I thought it was the CPU some years ago too! But that would be your hard disk that's "crackling." The CPU is actually noiseless...

I also run WinXP and believe me, it takes a long time doing things without warning. If you're used to Win98 style where everything stops responding due to just one program crashing, then WinXP's program independency (oftentimes anyway :) ) will prove to be a little weird. Just wait for a long time and see what happens. Hopefully, the search didn't really freeze but was just taking a really long time.

Hope that helped...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The reason I felt it was stopping though was that my CPU just gets quiet (no normal crackling noises, lights are not flashing)
Thats a very good thing believe me. CPUs arent supposed to make noise so if your's makes nosie, you have a very serious problem :p