Computer Not Pinging and Printer Not Located

I have two computers, computer A and computer B. They are both connected to a wireless router 192.168.1.1 Now, ICMP is enabled and the firewall is switched off on both computers. Firewall is also switched off from the router and the router has device isolation switched off.

Now, computer A has a printer connected to it via a USB cable and shared on the network. However, computer A and B can't find each other even though DHCP is assigned and the correct gateway address is given 192.168.1.1 The 'File and Printer' options is enabled on both computers also.

So, computer B can't print or send a ping to computer A. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do both have the same workgroup name? Are both the same OS? Are you able to setup a homegroup?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Make sure network discovery is turned on in the networking and sharing center advanced sharing settings. Also make sure file and printer sharing is turned on in the same window.

Do both have the same workgroup name? Are both the same OS? Are you able to setup a homegroup?

Do both have the same workgroup name?
Yes, they have.

Are both the same OS?
Computer A is Windows 8 and Computer B is Windows 10.

Are you able to setup a homegroup?
I haven't tried this yet.

Make sure network discovery is turned on in the networking and sharing center advanced sharing settings. Also make sure file and printer sharing is turned on in the same window.

Both are turned on and Firewall is swtiched off from the Router and both computers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do both have the same workgroup name?
Yes, they have.

Are both the same OS?
Computer A is Windows 8 and Computer B is Windows 10.

Are you able to setup a homegroup?
I haven't tried this yet.
It sounds like a compatibility issue, I've heard that 7, 8 are very similar and that windows 10 is very difficult to integrate anything from the past windows versions. One thing I would try for sure just to see if it would work cause sometimes it does get caught up in the spooler (again I'd doubt that this works because of the ping issue) but try net stop spooler and net start spooler to see if that works. Next thing I would try is to tether them to see if you can get to them to talk to one another. The homegroup does help as a work group and a home group won't be able to talk to one another, and make sure its not on the public group, public group shuts almost everything down.