Computer not resonding after RAM upgrade

Iced_Bullet

New Member
I don't know if this should go in the memory section as the fault was caused after a RAM upgrade ... but this now involves all the PC in my eyes :mad:

I bought a new mid range PC (see sig) 2/3 weeks ago and it was running smooth and nice but it was nearly running at full RAM with iTunes, MSN, steam, TDU, FRAPS, some extra programs and Recording TV. So, I thought a RAM upgrade was the way to go. I thought it would be simpliest to get exactly the same sticks (2x1gb 4-4-4-13 800mhz Corsair) onn plonk them in the spare 2DIMM slots. I started my PC up, logged in and Vista froze. So I looked in the manual and it said to clear the CMOS memory should any memory related faults should occur. So I did, and now the pc just starts up and seems to be working, except nothing shows on the screen.

And before you ask, yes the screen is connected and on ;)

I would appreciate any help! Thanks =]
 
Last edited:
If I was in your position I would remove all sticks of ram and remove the graphics card. Re seat the graphics card and put only one stick of RAM back into the DIMM slot (slot 1). See if it allows you to boot...

EDIT: Oh and this is a hotfix for people suffering from system crashes with more than 4GB of RAM installed...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...7C-614B-404C-850C-377541E93C18&displaylang=en

So if and when you get your screen up and running apply the above...
 
Last edited:
I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you tried setting to proper voltage and extended timings? My Corsair RAM gave me trouble at first, the exact same things happened to me. Most motherboards have a default voltage of 1.8v. My RAM needed 1.9v to run correctly. I added the voltage and got all timings, to include extended timings, from the Corsair website and set them all in the BIOS. Since then everything has been great, it definitely fixed my problem;)
__________________________________________

Case : XION II w/12” green cold cathode
Motherboard : Asus P5N-E 650i @ 1532 FSB
CPU : Intel Q9300 @ 2.875 GHz
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX2
RAM : Corsair XMS2 Pro/pc6400/ 4x1GB/ @800 MHz
Graphics : Evga 9800 GTX @ 740 MHz
PSU : Antec Neo Power 650w / modular cables
OP: Vista Home Pre 64 bit
 
I am not trying to insult your intelligence
none taken, all good and useful advise is more than welcome here :)

Its all good and well increasing the voltages and changing the latencies but if he can't see anything to start off with then he is a bit screwed lol!
 
I was not talking to you ghost.....sorry about the confusion:) The thing is sometimes when you post some advice people get mad because you talk to them like a noob:confused:

I would have told him the same thing....pull the graphics card and re-seat, but you covered that.

Have you tried the Abit website and forum to see if other people have the same problems? Here is the link for your motherboad forum.
http://forum.uabit.com/search.php?searchid=1369006
 
Thanks both, I removed and reseated GPU and only have 1gb RAM in atm. I've booted up into the BIOS, changed the voltage to 2.0V and am currently on google to try and find out how to put it to 800mhz because I got a message at begining of BIOS saying it was 660 or something ....

:D thanks again so far, I know it's not over yet, but it's looking rosier ...
 
I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you tried setting to proper voltage and extended timings? My Corsair RAM gave me trouble at first, the exact same things happened to me. Most motherboards have a default voltage of 1.8v. My RAM needed 1.9v to run correctly. I added the voltage and got all timings, to include extended timings, from the Corsair website and set them all in the BIOS. Since then everything has been great, it definitely fixed my problem;)
I tried searching the BIOS, but couldn't find anything solid, do'ya know of any tutorials on how to make the memory speed run at the sold speed? I think it's currently at ~660 or something and it says 800. The Mobo does support this too. I have upp'ed the voltage to 2.0V which I realise was 0.1 shy of the voltage written on the cards, but it was 1.8 to start with.

This is my first build and know very little compared to some members on this forum. Which is why I didn't change the Voltage beforehand. So my intellegence is not insulted, I know it's at par with n00bs :o



Hmm, I installed the Vista Update thing and get the message 'The update does not apply to your system' :-/ Ahhhhhhh!!!
 
Last edited:
I had a similar problem when I upgraded RAM on my XP PC. I had replaced 2x256 with 2x1G, and hadn't seated them properly.
Worked fine was they were installed properly.
 
The BIOS is different for every motherboard. I have never used an Abit motherboard. Maybe you will see something like "un-link" the RAM. A lot of motherboards will auto link the RAM to the FSB. This will cause your RAM to underclock. ( Q6600 FSB=1066 the Motherboard auto links it at a 2:1 ratio and RAM=533) I would be willing to bet that is why your RAM is lower than 800, it is linked some how. You can manually set the FSB and RAM speed in the BIOS. Set FSB to 1066 and RAM to 800 and see if it works. If it does work, use it as a normal computer and do some stress tests for a couple days and make sure all drivers and BIOS are updated. Just look through your BIOS and see what you can find, kinda like exploring. Don't overclock anything yet, just get the system running at spec and do some testing.

Go to the Abit forum and do some reading about this motherboard....you will find what other people have done with their boards. You can see what worked for them and what didn't. This will be the best place for direct support info for you.
 
Last edited:
ram ish

Ive had that same problem recently. Wouldnt boot or anything. Took all the ram out and tested each piece one by one. Turns out the stick in the first ram position arrived DOA for me. Took forever till i tried those easy steps. Hope it help. Actually, I hope its your voltages, so you wont have to replace a stick like i did.
 
Well, I found out what's wrong. I put the old existnig RAM into DIMM 2+4 to check to see if the mobo was to fault, but no, it worked and booted up fine. So I put the new 2gb sticks in DIMM 1+3 and removed the old ones, (so only new ones) and it wouldn't boot, just gave warning beeps. So it looks like it DOA, so I'll be sending it back soon hopefully for a replacement! In a good twisted way, this is fine, because the PC is working how it was and nothing broke because of the new RAM.

Thanks Mezzeron for the testing trick and others for help. I shall boost the memory speed some time tomorrow, for now I just wanna play rFactor (with mods) which came this morning!
 
Back
Top