computer not starting.. help?

Dozy

ok this is my problem.. built a computer for my bro and it worked perfectly for 2 months, then one day he told me that it suddenly had frozen up while he had been listenin 2 music, and when he tried restarting it, nothing had happend.. so now everytime i try to turn it on, all the fans start up, all the little leds light up, the disc and hard drives do their warming up sounds, but after that... nada! screen stays in stand by mode, and all i got is a computer with spinning fans.. ive allready tried reseting CMOS and stuff like that but no change.. please help! what could be wrong??

Imaruki

Check and make sure your video card is seated properly and all your video cables are plugged in all the way.

Dozy

tried taking the video card out and putting it back in.. then double and tripple checking all cables.. still nothing.. :confused:

Dozy

oh ok.. how do i know if its a PSU failure? and what would that failure be? i mean cause i know it is delivering at least some power to be able to make those start up things.. i tried removing the power to the disc and floppy drives just to see if it would make any difference.. but sadly no.. :( and if it is a cpu or memory failure, whats wrong? i thought the system speaker beeps if a failure like that accurs?

Dozy

oki guys.. my problems still here but it has developed a bit.. still dont know what to do tho.. with my problem before i noticed the computer actually starts when its cold.. i can come as far as into windows.. but then it freezes.. i also noticed that the fan on d cpu wasnt spinning, so i bought a new one, but after connecting it, it didnt spin either.. always the same problem with screen staying in stand by.. however leavin the cpu fan unconnected lets me come as far as the windows start up.. then it freezes.. im just totally confused here i dont know whats wrong with it........

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i also noticed that the fan on d cpu wasnt spinning, so I bought a new one, but after connecting it, it didnt spin either
Dead power supply? :)

however leavin the cpu fan unconnected lets me come as far as the windows start up.. then it freezes
Yes because it overheats

Dozy

yeah actually its an AMD.. an athlon 700mhz.. so its overheating.. so much is clear.. but why isnt the new fan that i bought workin? and why does the pc atleast start when i totally disconnect the fan (which i know isnt very good, just wanted to try it)?

Blade

maybe the fan is too good, and its not making the processor hot enough to start...try booting without the fan, then when you get in, put the fan on? just an idea

Dozy

no as i said earlier.. the cpu fans (the old one and the new one i bought) dont work at all.. plugged in or not.. that's why i find it so weird that the computer actually starts when leavin the fan unplugged..

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You probably have a power problem and I'm thinking either with the fan plugged in the psu is overloaded, or there is a short when a fan is connected.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Dozy said:
ok im gona check up on the psu.. but lets say that its a short.. how do i fix that?
if it is a short, from the description of the problem it seems to be only when a fan is on the cpu fan power on the motherboard so just plug it in somewhere else, putting it on a molex (12v and ground) works fine

Blade

Praetor said:
lol it's not a car. . ;)
hehe, yeah...that was my idea of a joke...thought i might try and lighten the mood

if ya'll have a spare power supply or a nice friends, beat him with a club adn take his power supply, put it in your systema dn try starting, if it works, then roberts ya dads brother...bobs ya uncle :D