Computer not turning on

EMO-TOCROSS

So I finished putting together my new computer, When I hit the power button the fans and everything turn on for about 3 seconds then all the power shuts off. I'm pretty sure I connected everything together right. Any ideas why its doing this?

PC eye

banned
Recheck all connections before deciding to pull out the supply. Make sure the single four wire plug(newer 12v feed for SLI/Crossfire) is also plugged in. If you are using a 20 not 24pin main power connector on the supply your system will refuse to start. You may see a brief light of drive lights and fans and then nothing. What type of board are you running? If Socket 754 or 939 you will need the 24pin connector usually seen as 20+4pin at vendors. That splits into two parts when separating the four pin plug for use on older boards. But it's the new added 12v feed for AMD64 cpus.

EMO-TOCROSS

One of the plugs was not all the way connected, and that seemed to do the job. Now everything powers up and stays up. New problem :( Nothing appears on the monitor. I've tried two different monitors now, they both dont show anything. Defective video card?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Mabe try taking it out the video card and reinstalling one more time to make sure, make sure you have the 24 and 4 pin power connector connected to the motherboard

EMO-TOCROSS

I just un-hooked the card and reinstalled it, still the same results. I'm sure I have an old PCI video card around, i'll go look for it and see if that works. If it does, that means my new card is defective right?

StrangleHold

Staff member
I just un-hooked the card and reinstalled it, still the same results. I'm sure I have an old PCI video card around, i'll go look for it and see if that works. If it does, that means my new card is defective right?

If so then its 99% the video card or a small chance that the PCIe slot is screwed, might try to reset the bios too

PC eye

banned
Make sure that separate four wire SLI plug is in as well. That's the extra 12v feed for SLI and Crossfire dual card setups. Rechecking the connections worked didn't it. It's a more common goof before pointing at bad hardwares.

EMO-TOCROSS

I have checked over and over, everything is plugged in correctly. The fan on the video card even turns on. But nothing appears on the screen still... I searched the house and couldnt find any PCI Video cards, so I can't test and see if its the card or not. So the question is, is it even compatable with the 500W Power Supply/Motherboard, or is it defective? Not having a PCI Video card doesn't really help :-/ Should I return the video card and get a refund and buy a different card? Or get it replaced

PC eye

banned
Generally if you have a bad video card you will hear an audio alert on most boards. Without hearing anything at post suggests a bad board or dead cpu as a more likely culprit. A few months a friend received and returned two boards for a different model when the vendor apparently got in a bad batch. If you could try the video card in another case like a friend's to see if it was good there you would then start looking at the board for other problems. A dead cpu however would also produce an audio alert. Board? most likely!

EMO-TOCROSS

Neither of my friends have a motherboard that my video card can fit into, so that is out of the question. I am interested though, how do I find out if the processor is defective? The motherboard has never made a single sound ever since I put together the computer. No beeps. Motherboard defective?

EMO-TOCROSS

I wanna get a move on this, it's already been two weeks of waiting on parts/solving problems. Obviously something isn't working, and thats narrowed down to: 1.) Video Card 2.) Motherboard 3.) Processor.

The screen isn't getting any signal whatsoever when I power up the computer. The light on the motherboard turns on, all the fans turn on (including the one on the video card), and everything appears to be working good. The motherboard never beeps, but the light on it does light up. I'm going to need to get one of them replaced, which one should I get replaced?

- I can't find a PCI Video card to test if its the Video Card, and I don't have any friends with a compatable motherboard for my videocard to try out.

- The motherboard doesn't beep, that may indicate something, normally they always beep.

- I have no idea how I would know if the processor wasn't working.

Could ram even be a possibility?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Neither of my friends have a motherboard that my video card can fit into, so that is out of the question. I am interested though, how do I find out if the processor is defective? The motherboard has never made a single sound ever since I put together the computer. No beeps. Motherboard defective?

You have pointed at the board yourself right there! The board has never made a beep. Most boards made will have a single short default beep heard when initially starting the post tests. The lack of anything seen onscreen when powering while all else seems normal suggests a bad chipset on the board if not bad caps. That is precisely the problem that was seen on the two defective boards a friend had me look over a few months back.

Sometime back an article was published on how name brand boards get stuck with bad capacitors. But a defective bios or chipset sounds the likely cause here. I would contact the vendor for an exchange, return for refund, or credit towards a different model if not make board. You rechecked all connections including the small two wire plug for the power switch? Make sure that didn't pop up off of the block of pins there.