Computer not working

Mandalore

I have a computer that a friend built and it is not sending a signal to the monitor. We have tried about five or six different monitors and still no signal. The computer is using a ryzen 5600x CPU, gtx 1050 ti GPU, on a gigabyte b450m ds3h motherboard. We are trying to get to the bios before we install the os.

You may need to update the bios first for the CPU to get recognized (and thus boot), you can do that by going to gigabytes site and downloading the most recent BIOS for the b450M, it will have you save it to a USB stick and name it a certain way
I had the same thing happen when building my system (I have the same motherboard but it is by MSI)
Those boards usually need a BIOS update before they will recognize a more current CPU

Actually I don't think gigabyte's 450m ds3h supports flashing the bios without a working cpu first, if that's the case (assuming it is the bios) then you would either need an older ryzen cpu to boot and install the new bios or you can request a free boot kit from amd here
If you are able to find out what version BIOS your current B450m has you can see if that version is compatible with the 5600x here
If there's any other suggestions that come up I would try those as well since I know getting a boot kit can take time
When did they buy this motherboard if I might ask, and was it used?
Because it would seem odd if gigabyte hasn't been updating the BIOs on their boards for the 5000 series ryzens which came out in october 2020:confused:

Mandalore

Actually I don't think gigabyte's 450m ds3h supports flashing the bios without a working cpu first, if that's the case (assuming it is the bios) then you would either need an older ryzen cpu to boot and install the new bios or you can request a free boot kit from amd here
If you are able to find out what version BIOS your current B450m has you can see if that version is compatible with the 5600x here
If there's any other suggestions that come up I would try those as well since I know getting a boot kit can take time
When did they buy this motherboard if I might ask, and was it used?
Because it would seem odd if gigabyte hasn't been updating the BIOs on their boards for the 5000 series ryzens which came out in october 2020:confused:
It’s a brand new board that was bought in December. I will try the boot drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did he use the brass standoffs between motherboard and case so that the motherboard doesn't short out?

It’s a brand new board that was bought in December. I will try the boot drive.
I mean you can try but I don't think your particular board supports updating the BIOS that way, does the box it came in say something like ryzen 3000 or 5000 ready on the front?
That can be an hint of what's supported right out of the box, the vendor should be able to tell you as well if you can get in touch with them
Also, while your at it you can check that everything's connected securely too just to be sure there isn't a loose cable or anything
Again, I have a feeling it's an non current bios since what you're describing is almost exactly what I went through with my ryzen 3000 build on a 450 board

Mandalore

I mean you can try but I don't think your particular board supports updating the BIOS that way, does the box it came in say something like ryzen 3000 or 5000 ready on the front?
That can be an hint of what's supported right out of the box, the vendor should be able to tell you as well if you can get in touch with them
Also, while your at it you can check that everything's connected securely too just to be sure there isn't a loose cable or anything
Again, I have a feeling it's an non current bios since what you're describing is almost exactly what I went through with my ryzen 3000 build on a 450 board
The box says ryzen 1 & 2000 compatible and we are trying a 2600x in it. Still nothing has showed up.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would try building it outside of the case to verify its not grounding out against anything. Only connect was is needed to boot. I stick of ram, cpu, video card. Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard to hear bios beeps? That could tell you what is going on.