Computer on for 1 second then off

xwillisx

I just bought a combo from newegg.com to build my first computer. My cousin helped me (has built multiple computers) since I didnt know what I was doing.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM
G. Skill Ripjaws Ram (2 x 4GB)
Antec Earthwatts EA-650 Green 650W ATX12V
Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower

Also: Thermaltake TR2 600W

After building the computer, we pressed the power button to test everything out. The fans and LED light will turn on for literally 1 second and turn off. After waiting a couple seconds, you can turn it back on and it will do the exact same thing. Based on my cousins suggestion and reading forums, I figured my PSU was DOA, so I bought a new one tonight (the Thermaltake) and hooked everything up. I have the exact same problem, any suggestions?

Below is a video to better explain:
http://youtu.be/KXwN5FLZC6g

P.S. I just unplugged everything except the motherboard (which obviously has the CPU and CPU fan connected) and tried both power supplies. Still having the same problem. My fingers are pointing to the mobo being bad.

bowen

Try using only one ram card and make sure its in the dimm1 slot, have had trouble with that in the past, otherwise have you tried resetting the cmos? or the bios? hope that's any help (=

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Rebuild the parts outside of the case to verify that you aren't shorting the motherboard against the case. You did plug in the 4 pin cpu power connector? If after rebuilding outside of the case, you may want to reset the cmos.

xwillisx

Bowen, I have tried with just one stick of RAM and no RAM. I am not sure how to reset CMOS and BIOs but I'll talk to my cousin about how to do it. Thanks.

xwillisx

Johnb35, I will try building it outside of the case but I noticed that I might have put too much thermal paste on the CPU. It may have leaked on the mobo. I did plug in the 4 pin. I'm going to try to clean the mobo, if this all doesn't solve the problem, I might just exchange for new ones.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use the stock heatsink that came with your cpu? It already had a thermal pad on it, you didn't need to add thermal paste to it.