computer or laptop to TV

Pc_Pimp

I have a 32" lcd flatscreen tv but its only 720p so I know it won't work the best for a monitor but I'm wondering would I get better graphics running it through HDMI instead of the VGA input? Or would it really not make a difference with the tv only being 720p?

Demilich

I have a 32" lcd flatscreen tv but its only 720p so I know it won't work the best for a monitor but I'm wondering would I get better graphics running it through HDMI instead of the VGA input? Or would it really not make a difference with the tv only being 720p?

720p is still the standard in terms of television broadcasted to your house, and realistically, to the human eye, at least, there isn't a noticable difference between 720p and 1080i. 1080i is merely a selling point, as is 1080p. TV stations rarely broadcast in 1080i, because 1080i consumes quite a bit of bandwidth, and isn't much worth the hassle.

As for the HDMI vs VGA topic, HDMI is a must to get your full 720p, and would look much better, I often connect my computer to my TV through the HDMI port, with 720p, it's very nice, and luxurious, and will look much better than a normal moniter.

Last edited:

Pc_Pimp

Ok thanks. I have hooked up my laptop through the vga port but I wasn't to happy with the appearance I got on the tv. Hopefully hooking it up through the hdmi port will sharpen image quality and sharpen up lettering and words? Or will it not make to much of a difference?

Demilich

Ok thanks. I have hooked up my laptop through the vga port but I wasn't to happy with the appearance I got on the tv. Hopefully hooking it up through the hdmi port will sharpen image quality and sharpen up lettering and words? Or will it not make to much of a difference?

I'm assuming your computer has a built in HDMI port, correct? And yes, connecting through the HDMI port (as long as you're connecting HDMI to HDMI) there should be quite a notable difference.

Last edited:

Pc_Pimp

Yes my laptop has a built in hdmi port. As far as my desktop goes it only has dvi-d so would a dvi-d to hdmi cable give me the same quality as just a straight through hdmi to hdmi cable hook up?

Demilich

Yes my laptop has a built in hdmi port. As far as my desktop goes it only has dvi-d so would a dvi-d to hdmi cable give me the same quality as just a straight through hdmi to hdmi cable hook up?

From what I've gathered, and I've tested this before, as well, it will work well with DVI-D to HDMI. However, DVI, as far as I know, does not carry audio, as HDMI does. So, you would need seperate speakers for the DVI-D to HDMI connection.

Last edited:

Nanobyte

If you are going to use both PCs, it may be a better idea to use an HDMI cable with HDMI to DVI adapter. You only need the one cable and HDMI is going to be more useful in the future.

Depending on where the TV is relative to the PCs, you can run the line out audio from the desktop to the TV's line in audio as well as using the PC's speakers as noted by Demilich. If it's going to be a regular thing you may want to split the line out from the PC, one connection for the PC speakers and one when you need to connect the TV.

Pc_Pimp

As far as sound goes for my desktop i have the sound cord already running to my receiver for the tv. 25 foot cord lol but i would need a 25 foot dvi to hdmi calbe. With it needing to be that long would I loose picture quality?

As far as the laptop goes, i picked up a 12 foot hdmi cable a few hours ago and hooked it up to the tv and you guys were right it looks WAY better compared to being hooked up through the VGA cable. No complaints, actually im pretty impressed even with the tv only bein 720p. I'm suprised.

Now for another question. If i want to hook the tv up to my desktop, how would i go about this? I currently have a 22" lcd monitor hooked up to it with 1680x1050 resolution. So since the tv is only 720p how would that work if i wanted the screens to clone? will everything still fit on the tv? or will it only show some of the content since its not a as high of a resolution? :S

Last edited:

Demilich

As far as sound goes for my desktop i have the sound cord already running to my receiver for the tv. 25 foot cord lol but i would need a 25 foot dvi to hdmi calbe. With it needing to be that long would I loose picture quality?

As far as the laptop goes, i picked up a 12 foot hdmi cable a few hours ago and hooked it up to the tv and you guys were right it looks WAY better compared to being hooked up through the VGA cable. No complaints, actually im pretty impressed even with the tv only bein 720p. I'm suprised.

Now for another question. If i want to hook the tv up to my desktop, how would i go about this? I currently have a 22" lcd monitor hooked up to it with 1680x1050 resolution. So since the tv is only 720p how would that work if i wanted the screens to clone? will everything still fit on the tv? or will it only show some of the content since its not a as high of a resolution? :S

A 12 foot DVI to HDMI cable will not cause picture degradation.

As for the desktop, could you explain this in better detail, please? I think I know what you're talking about, just not exactly sure. You mean to have the LCD moniter combined with the flat screen, correct?

Pc_Pimp

A 12 foot DVI to HDMI cable will not cause picture degradation.

As for the desktop, could you explain this in better detail, please? I think I know what you're talking about, just not exactly sure. You mean to have the LCD moniter combined with the flat screen, correct?

Will a 25 foot dvi to hdmi cable cause picture degradation?

Yes I mean have them both connected to the desktop at the same time. I know you can set it up so it either just expands the desktop to use both or you can have it set up to clone so both show the same thing. But my question is since the monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050 and the tv is 720p will it show all the content on the tv since its not the same resolution as the monitor?

Demilich

Will a 25 foot dvi to hdmi cable cause picture degradation?

Yes I mean have them both connected to the desktop at the same time. I know you can set it up so it either just expands the desktop to use both or you can have it set up to clone so both show the same thing. But my question is since the monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050 and the tv is 720p will it show all the content on the tv since its not the same resolution as the monitor?

25 feet? That's fine.

As for the monitor and HDTV question, you should be able to dual moniter what you're talking about, no problem.