Computer performance / Buying new laptop

mas1

Hi!

Sorry in advance for the wall-o-text and large number of questions, but I hope I can get some advice anyway. Even if you can just answer a few of my questions it would help a lot! :)

My laptop is on the verge of breaking down so I've started looking for a new one. It's a jungle out there however, and I would really appreciate some help on what to look for.

What I will use it for:
Except for the usual stuff (video, music, web browsing), I also need it for gaming, computations (simulations, mathematical computations, etc.) and some image/video processing. I want to be able to play new games (most notably diablo 3 later on), but I don't mind if the settings are low. It needs to be fairly mobile since I will carry it around a lot. I'm also sick of my current laptop's slow speed which leads to a lot of just waiting for things to load, so I want the system to run smoothly even if I have several programs running at once. It doesn't need to be entirely silent, but quite quiet.

Specifications:
* Weight: No more than 3kg (~6.6 pounds), preferably <2.5 kg (5.5 pounds)
* Screen size: ~14"-16"
* At least 1 USB 3 port
* Processor: Sandy Bridge, either i5 or i7
* Fairly good battery life, 4-5 hours(?) ( when browsing or using office while listening to music, or non-demanding games)
* HDMI, preferably card slot, network card and all the usual stuff
* Price tag: Around 1000$

As for the rest of the components, I'm a bit lost. I've taken a look at systems (mainly Acer, Asus and MSI) with different specs, but I find it hard to determine which parts to invest most in, i.e. what would bottleneck my system. Hence my questions:

1) Is my suggested price tag even realistic for a system that satisfies all my needs?

2) How much better would a low-grade i7 quad core perform vs a high-grade i5 dual-core?
Also, how notable are the effects of a 5200RPM HD vs 7200 RPM HD?

3) I have read somewhere that Sandy Bridge doesn't have built-in support for USB3, yet there are systems that claim to have both. Does that mean the problem has been fixed somehow, that it's a lighter/slower version of USB3, or that the compability is technically there but cannot be used with the included processor?

4) Which of the components Processor (Hz and #cores), GFX card, RPM speed, RAM is usually the strong point or bottleneck for the respective activities of Gaming, Video-editing, Multitasking, Heavy(/many) computations and Data transfer?

5) The noise levels generally aren't specified, so how do I know which laptops are quiet?
Are some particular brands quiter than others and are there any sites that makes comparisons (I tried google, but didn't find anything useful)?
What components are the biggest source of heat and/or noise and do these increase with performance?

6) When manufacturers and stores specifiy battery life, is it generally the maximum battery life (computer unnused), minimum battery life (while gaming) or general battery life (intermediate use)?
How much extra battery does playing games eat up compared to web browsing or similar?

Answers to any or all questions would be greatly appreciated! :)

claptonman

1. Yes. My roommate has an i5 with a 555m video card and it blasts through video games. Cost him $700.

2. For image and video processing, it would be better to have the i7. That being said, the i5 is still a great processor.

3. My roommate's i5 has built in USB 3.0, which I have used and it is fast.

4. The video card is the most important part to a game. That being said, a fast processor is needed or else your video card won't reach its full potential. 4GB of RAM is plenty for games. Getting 8GB would help with the processing. For laptops, I think 1066mhz is the fastest for RAM.

jonnyp11

the price tag for what you want can be at the bottom of your req's for about 1100 usd, or for the bestpossible you can prob get it for under 2k, i know ibuypower has a sick lappy with an i7 and a gtx570m for 1515 or so

mas1

Thank you for your help. After some additional research and having scoured the price comparison sites in my corner of the world, I have decided upon the Asus U46SV. It's fairly lightweight but seems sturdy, has a long battery life, 14" screen and should be able to meet my requirements (in case anyone else was interested). This topic may now be closed if you like. :)