computer performance

MicRaDoT932

i was wondering if you have a router hooked up on your pc and if you have phone service through your internet does it slow it down?

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't quite understand either. When you say "having phone service through your internet, does it slow it down?", are you referring to using a VoIP service such as Vonage, Skype, or other internet-based phone service?

lovely?

i was wondering if you have a router hooked up on your pc and if you have phone service through your internet does it slow it down?

i have Vonage home phone service myself and if you have it hooked up like this Cable modem/Router/Vonage modem. then my internet is fine if im using a computer hooked up to the router. unfortunately it is mandatory that a computer be physically hooked up to the vonage modem for it to function. in this case the computer hooked up to the vonage modem would receive somewhat slower internet (in my experience)... theres where i get stuck. if i hook it up Cable modem/router/vonage i get slow internet to the computer hooked up to the vonage modem but fast internet to the computers wirelessly connected to the router. if i switch the two routers around so that it goes Modem/Vonage/Router then the internet speeds change accordingly...

at least, thats my experience.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i have Vonage home phone service myself and if you have it hooked up like this Cable modem/Router/Vonage modem. then my internet is fine if im using a computer hooked up to the router. unfortunately it is mandatory that a computer be physically hooked up to the vonage modem for it to function. in this case the computer hooked up to the vonage modem would receive somewhat slower internet (in my experience)... theres where i get stuck. if i hook it up Cable modem/router/vonage i get slow internet to the computer hooked up to the vonage modem but fast internet to the computers wirelessly connected to the router. if i switch the two routers around so that it goes Modem/Vonage/Router then the internet speeds change accordingly...

at least, thats my experience.

You don't need a computer hooked up to it for it to work. I've had mine for 2 years and haven't had a computer hooked up to it and it works great.

lovely?

our vonage modem does not work unless we have a computer hooked into it, tech support confirmed that. if anything we have different modems.

MicRaDoT932

well the pc i use is the main pc. then i have a wired router hooked up and my sister gets internet from mine then the modem i have is a touchstone telephony modem from Time warner and i just wasnt sure if having my sisters computer hooked up to my internet and the phone goin through the internet would slow me down at all

UriA702

you might want to look into magic jack
www.magicjack.com

It's $20 a year for unlimited service. I've been using it for a while and haven't experienced any sort of decrease in performance in internet speed on the PC it is running off.