Computer powers on but nothing on screen

dell

The other day my pc screen froze, including the mouse and keyboard functions. Had to press the power button in to restart. On restart there is nothing on the screen and the light on the monitor stays amber even though the pc is on. I did get a bios setup welcome screen yesterday if I keep the start button pressed in but was not sure what action to take after that, so through so trial and error I realized that I should enter setup and not hit F1 to continue. By that time after keeping the start button in a few times I think maybe it drained the cmos battery? because now when I try to keep the start button pressed in it just whimpers out.

_Pete_

I don't how familiar you are with delving inside your computer. If you are not familiar with opening it up then don't. having said that my first reaction would be to unplug the RAM modules and ensure that they are all seated properly.

dell

I don't how familiar you are with delving inside your computer. If you are not familiar with opening it up then don't. having said that my first reaction would be to unplug the RAM modules and ensure that they are all seated properly.

Yes, im very familiar with delving inside the pc, I have done what you have said on other computers, for some reason didn't think about that one, will give that a go.

dell

After re setting the cmos battery and ram sticks the problem still exists. I was able to get the bios setup on the screen this time around. And just about one min in my keyboard froze up. So I dont think its looking good. Might be the motherboard has packed in?

My next test will be to see how it operates with just one stick of ram in the slot, and maybe isolate a bad stick.

Last edited:

OmniDyne

Hello dell!

Try what you suggested with the RAM.

Also, could you please post your system hardware specifications and Windows version?

Do you have a graphics card and/ or other accessories in the PCI slots?

dell

Hi, yes
Acer Veriton X275 E5400 (2x 2.7GHz) 4GB, 320GB Windows 10
Intel Dual Core E5400

There is no Video Card. Usually in the past when I bought a pc it always had a video card. This one does not have a video card. From the inside it just looks like a little box

I forgot to add, getting anything to show up on the screen on start up is a random process. The first time I did get something up on the screen it was the black screen with white lettering. Click F1 to continue. After doing that it brought me to a screen with just the words.''The system bios image is corrupted''

dell

Looks like it was a bad ram stick. Took one of the sticks out and bingo, pc came on right away, after doing some basic setup in bios its back to normal. Which means ill just have to buy another ram stick. of course now its only running on 2 gb ram. Should I try and put the one I took out back in, maybe it was not in just right or needs cleaning? or just not mess around and buy another stick.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try putting it back in and see what happens. I'm surprised that a bad ram would cause that error message to come up about the bios being corrupted.

Agent Smith

You can run Memtest 86+ and verify it's bad RAM, but if the problem is corrected without that stick then it's obvious what the issue is.

dell

okay, so I put the bad ram stick back in the other slot, after doing so I was still able to get on my desktop with windows loading, however after I opened Firefox for about 30 sec, Firefox crashed, then I got a windows message saying that there was a problem with my computer, and to insert disc to recover, blah blah blah. So at that point I took out the bad ram stick, restarted and so far so good. The thing is, Firefox will not open now, im using IE at the moment. But prefer Firefox.

any ideas