Computer problem. Please Help.

MalachiX

New Member
Ok,

I just had the following PC built with custom specs:

Asus P5Q-E MOBO
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU
GeForce 9800 GTX
8 gigs of RAM
Antec 900 Case
Windows Vista Business (64-bit)

It's been running fine since I had it built on Friday and I've been going through the trials of re-installing all my old software and finding new software to work with Vista 64.

Anyway, today I was running it and since my Vista replaces the shutdown button with the sleep button (you have to right click on it to pull up the option to shut down or restart); I accidentally hit what I assume was sleep. The monitor went blank but the CPU kept running and I tried pushing mouse buttons and keyboard prompts to wake the damn thing up.

Eventually, I push power and it shuts off. I then turn it back on but I just get a black screen. All the fans in start up, all the lights come on, but the monitor just has it's power light flash like it's in sleep mode. I don't know if the bios is loading because my bios never beeped. I've tried powering everything off. I've tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. I really don't know what to do. I havn't tried hitting the reset switch on the MOBO yet because I don't want to lose everything (I'm almost done getting everything installed).

Any suggestions? It seems almost like Vista has forever stuck the damn thing in sleep mode.
 
dont worry about resetting the bios it will just clear the data from the bios it wont delete anything from the hard drive where vista and all your installed sofware is stored

and if you want to change the vista shutdown button so it actually is a shutdown button rahter than a sleep then people can help you do that its a pretty easy job

But back to your problem resetting the bios would be my first port of call with this
 
Ok, here are some more specifics.

When the system starts up, all the fans and lights come on for about ten seconds, then turn off, then come back on again. All fans seem to have power and my video card seems to be getting power as well as I can see lights inside and the fans inside it are running. The DVD drive is also powered on and I can open and close it. Despite this however, the keyboard and mouse appear to be dead. I get no response from either and no lights come on.
 
Sounds like your USB ports arent initializing. Try using a Ps2 keyboard and mouse to get into your Bios and go from there.......When i overclocked my system to high it shut down the Bus and my ports werent functional (initializing) until I used a Ps2 keyboard and mouse, I then went into my Bios and re-adjusted my frequencies...........
 
thanx.

I'll have to see if I can get a hold of some PS2 devices. I didn't overclock anything though. I just had the damn thing built three days ago! I didn't do anything to it save for install a KVM USB device to switch between my two rigs. I wonder if that sucker did it.
 
Back
Top