Computer Problem :(

computer_error

I just had a question about my computer that won't exactly start. Well, I press the power button, the computer turns on, and it beeps. In this way... "beeeeeep *silence* beeeep *silence* beeeep" and so on... the whole time the monitor is on, but the light is orange, not green. I move the mouse and type on the keyboard but nothing happens. I'm so frustrated with this computer, I've tryed switching monitors and got nothing. I am out of things to try. Please Help!

Thanks.

Yeti

VIP Member
What are the specs for the computer? And what caused it to stop working (ie did you change any hardware etc)? If I knew the BIOS I could tell what that beep code means. A lot of them are memory errors so my first, uneducated guess would be to check that the memory is seated properly

computer_error

well i didnt change any hardware or anything on the computer.. umm... its Windows 2000... its an Altex computer... i dont really know what else to say about it... what else do u need to know?

Kboy

The beeps are the computer's way to tell you what's wrong with it. For example, with my m-board, 3 beeps means there is a problem with the RAM. I found this out by reading the instruction manual once, lol, but it's probly different with every m-board.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If I knew the BIOS I could tell what that beep code means. A lot of them are memory errors so my first, uneducated guess would be to check that the memory is seated properly
Other things to check are the PSU and VGA :)

what else do u need to know?
The actual hardware the box is packin'

Trukindave

If you cant figure out what the beeps mean..

Best thing to do is check your RAM with the PC off, Make sure the RAM is seated in the slots properly..

Turn the PC back on.. If it still beeps.. Take out all your PC Cards .. Turn the PC back on.. If it still beeps, chances are you have a memory problem or dead RAM..

If it doesnt beep then one of your PC cards is prolly bad or wasnt seated properly and also may need to be changed.. Modem, Video, sound, And other installed cards.. Install the Video card 1st, Then turn the PC back on, check each card 1 at a time..

Now if its still beeping, unplug all the drives just remove the power cable, Not the IDE cable.. make sure no drive has power.. Turn the PC back on.. If it does not beep then your prob may be in your IDE setup..

ALso just have to ask questions::

you didnt remove the mouse and keyboard cable and get the cables switched around:

Was you messing around in the BIOS area and set something or change something..

Was you downloading Bios software and got the wrong updates or software for a different PC

It could be a few things causing your problem...

After checking those if its still a no go and

Last edited: