Yue

Hi all,

Having big problems with my computer.

Intel c2d e6850
4gb OCZ gold
Nvid 8800gtx
msi 650i mobo
corsair 550 psu

It all started last monday, went on computer in the morning before work, everything was working fine. Went to work. Came home from work 9h later, the screen is black and it doesn't respond to anything. So i think no big deal just crashed, hit reset button. It restarts, then posts, get to the point before the windows xp loading screen and restarts, it then does not post, screen is black, no response.

I turn it all off and then turn it back on again, does not post, nothing on screen, it just sits there, hit reset. It does post, but again restarts just before loading windows.

So i disconnect the hdd (sata 320gb) and then turn it on, it starts, then says please insert media to boot, so i stick in my XP home cd, it reads cd for a little while, then restarts and will not post.

I have tried, moving the ram sticks around, having them single in slots 1-4, having them run in single channel and duel. Same problem over and over again.

So i bought a new motherboard, just set everything up tonight and i am still having this annoying problem. I have also tried starting from on-board graphics, same problem and clearing the cmos.
Only thing left i can think of is the CPU, although i don't have another one to test and am reluctant to shell out for another.

If anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks for your help.
Pete

Yue

its a Corsair HX520W. I don't think it is the PSU, if it was that it would just cut out or not start at all.

laznz1

um possibley the CMOS Battery um check the cards look for shorts........and um thats all i can think off

Yue

both boards, new and old were properly fastened and all cards/ram etc was connected

cleared cmos of both, still nothing.

thnx for the replys guys :) keep em comming

fordinski

if your computer had the problem of going black screen then rebooting on its own, i had the same problem. it was my video card. i replaced it with a better one and viola, no blackouts.

mac550

try pulling everthing out of your rig and start again and only put the basic stuff in, like use a formatted HDD, 1 RAM stick and if you have another PCI-E GPU, try it.

Yue

The new mobo i bought for it had built in graphics, but i still get the same problem.

I have also tried starting it with nothing connected, but video and keyboard with all hdd/dvd-rom/sound blaster usb connections removed, yet still the same problem.

This is so frustrating. thnx for the comments guys.

Pete

Yue

well, i bought a cheap p4 775 2.8ghz cpu for £15, if that works then we know what the problem is. ill update u all

Yue

The p4 arrived today, plugged it in and the computer starts up straight away now.
Guess i need a new e6850 then :(

Thanks for your help guys.