computer programming for noobs

Troncoso

VIP Member
I absolutely agree.

You are obviously not aware that spam bots trawl the net looking for just such information that you have just provided Stars.

To Troncoso;

It was not my intention to make igotmor appear stupid in any way and I resent your accusation.

Haha. I was just kidding, I meant no harm by what I said.

Dystopia

ok I just started one of the tests and right away I felt like a 3rd grader taking a calculus test after the first 5 questions. I am probably overstepping my bounds here by saying I just wanna try computer programming. I guess I just need to start to learn about computers in general before anything involving programming of any sort. Hopefully you guys can set me down the right path.

Nope. All you need is something simple. The course I took, you didnt need to know anything besides how to use a program and your keyboard. really straight forward. Type some code, run the program, find bugs, thats all. One of the biggest things you need is a very close eye, you need to be able to pick out little things that dont look right.

mihir

VIP Member
Nope. All you need is something simple. The course I took, you didnt need to know anything besides how to use a program and your keyboard. really straight forward. Type some code, run the program, find bugs, thats all. One of the biggest things you need is a very close eye, you need to be able to pick out little things that dont look right.

Which comes from practice. ;)
Best way to learn programming is experimenting and an interest in it. ;)
Do not read the entire chapter about something and then try it out.
Try something out as soon as you have read something new.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Stars, might not be a good idea to put your contact details there, i would recommend just sending them via pm.

LoL the guy doesn't have enough posts so I was not able to send him PM. xD

Igotmor take my advice.Learn basic things about hardware and software before going straight to programming.Because if you go straight to programming,you won't be able to understand many things.
For example...if you want to make your code to run something from some other EXE file as a process,you will not even know and understand how to do that if you never did something like that in a simple command prompt.
Or for example...if you want to make your programs to be compatible for more Windows nd not just one,you will not understand and know how to do that if you do not know almost anything about Windows.Not just one edition,but many of them such as Windows 2000,XP,Vista,7 and so on...
Or how will you know and understand to make even a simple program to copy the entire folder using your own commands if you have never done anythng similar in DOS or a simple command prompt because in programming you must make your OWN commands and not use the existing ones.
How will you understand if your program is optimized enough with Windows if you do not know the hardware...
And so on...

I don't know why people keep saying that you can go STRAIGHT to programming.Yes of course you can,but you won't understand a LOT of things.
There are so many people who want to be great in these things and they do not even know how to burn simple MP3 musics on a CD or convert FAT32 to NTFS lol.Hell they don't even know what a file system is lol.I met many people in my life who DID go straight to this,but gave up after few days because they did not understand anything.Then I asked them: "Were you able to copy all the contents of the development environment and .NET framework on your hard disk drive?"
And they just answered: "What contents???"
They did not know even what I was talking about lol when at the end I discovered that they do not even know how to install the programming environment lol.Usually they screw up Windws and that at the end results to a HDD format lol.

It's up to you what you wanna to first.You can take my advice and go step by step,OR you can skip ALL the important steps and go straight to programming which is a bad idea.Sooner or later you will realize that it was a bad idea lol.
Anyway it's your choice lol.

As for Skype,don't worry about that since I sleep every third day lol.
I don't sleep much lol xD

Last edited:

NyxCharon

Meh, i learned java first. In java a basic understanding of hardware is good, but it's not really needed. It's pretty easy to jump right in there and do "hello world"

I can't stand python, but that's because of the forced formatting. I like being able to make my code look how i want.

igotmor

Ok well S.T.A.R.S. Where is the best place to learn all these things? (assuming I didn't Skype with you).

igotmor

I have to admit at one point I tried to jump into java with a book and after reading to page 50 while sitting in front of a computer I just straight gave up because I was so lost.

NyxCharon

I have to admit at one point I tried to jump into java with a book and after reading to page 50 while sitting in front of a computer I just straight gave up because I was so lost.

Jumping into any language at first will cause that. You have to keep the idea of abstract concepts in your head. At first your going to understand nothing, but as long as you copy the code right, and then progress to riding your own basic code, it'll work, but you wont know how. Then, as you gain more experience, those abstract concepts you have in your head will be replaced with concrete ones, and it'll continue that way for as long as you program.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Ok well S.T.A.R.S. Where is the best place to learn all these things? (assuming I didn't Skype with you).

First thing I would suggest you to learn is how to format the HDD completely and then install OS and all the neccessary drivers on it.Once you start programming,you will probably srew up your system many times so reinstallation of OS will be needed in the beginning.

Troncoso

VIP Member
First thing I would suggest you to learn is how to format the HDD completely and then install OS and all the neccessary drivers on it.Once you start programming,you will probably srew up your system many times so reinstallation of OS will be needed in the beginning.

I'm not sure what kind of programming you do but I've never seemed to run into that problem...unless perhaps we are talking about altering the windows source code?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LoL that's why I always have my entire HDD cloned on the external HDD so that I don't have to install anything the next time ^^.The longest period of NOT reinstalling Windows to me was 7 years.It would be 8 if my damn HDD did not stop working lol xD

That's why tomorrow I will make clone of my clone so I have 2 lol.Fu!!ck that lol.You never know what might happen hehe :D :D