computer questions

ad356

had some really strange issues recently. my system is an amd 6000+ athlon x2 processor, 4gb ram, 1 IDE hard drive, 2 sata hard drives, 1 optical dvd-rw, powercolor H3850 512 mb video. recently a really strange issue has developed. all of the sudden computer would not post. it would power up, but not post. i tested the video card and it ran fine in my wifes computer(another one of my build). i took her video card out and put it in my computer, its a 7900GS (i know, its old). anyways her video card worked in my computer. i thought maybe i would go out and buy a new video card and give her my HD3850 since its allot better than her old 7900 GS. i went out and bought a gts 450 at best buy with a price match with newegg. the video card cost me $99. i got home and installed it in my computer and i didnt work. i went out and bought a bigger power supply, a 600W thermaltake, because i have been running the same powersupply for about 4-5 years now. my old supply is an antec 430W truepower II. anyways, i think im going to give up on my motherboard and buy a new gigabyte board. for 70 bucks it will work with my current AM2 6000 and work with any future AM2+/AM3 processors i might install in the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

couple of questions i have are:
-how much better is the gts 450 vs. the HD3850 i previously was running
-is that thermaltake TR2 600W supply i bought any good, or should i return it since it did not solve the problem? is the antec truepower II 430w adequate for what im going to be running? how much of a difference is their between an antec truepower II vs. the TR2 600w from a quality standpoint?
-is that motherboard a good bang for the buck
-what do you guys think of the WD cavaiar green series, i just bought on recently. it was a 1tb drive and at 60 bucks the price was right. 1tb for 60 bucks, isnt that amazing, lol. i remember paying 240 bucks for 4.3 gb drive back in the mid 90's

im on a budget now, since im taking flying lessons. i dont think the athlon x2 6000 is a slow processor and should have enough useful life for a couple more years.

ad356

any ideas on power supply? was my old psu good enough to handle my rig?
is the thermaltake i bought any good, or should i return it
is that motherboard decent for the money or should i look at something else. i like the gigabyte brand