Computer random restarts

kyleswitch

So lately my computer has been restarting right after it goes through the motherboard load screens. Sometimes when I turn it on, all the fans (including my graphics card) run at 100% and never stop AND the nothing will post on the screen.

My parts are in my signature, if you have anymore questions about parts or what is happening please ask, I can't wait to fix it.

Im thinking it is either the motherboard or the power supply (psu has been making this very faint electrical sound lately, until I turn the switch off)

Thank you in advance

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Any digital multimeter would do; they are cheap nowadays. You would read DC volts, starting with the 12v (Yellow and black) and 5v (red and black) outputs that you could read at one of the 4-pin Molex connectors that plug into drives.

the -12v (blue and black), and 3.3v (orange and black) readings would have to be taken from the motherboard main connector.

Your voltages should be +/- 10%, but if they are lower than -5%, then I'd say your power supply is failing.

kyleswitch

Okay thank you. Ill have to pick one up in a bit. Keep watching this post just in case I need some help please :) The power supply isnt the best. It was a blackfriday deal, but Im going to need a larger one soon (plus, I like single rails better then multi rails.

Could the psu not having enough power damage my comp or would that be if it shorted out, etc. ?

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Generally, power supply failures don't cause damage to the rest of the computer.

However, power surges can and do, damaging not only the PSU, but much of the rest of the computer as well.

kyleswitch

Change your CPU back to a dual and see if it stops. I've had unlocked ones do the same thing.

That was one of the issues, it worked fine then started acting up so i put it back to stock speeds and cores. My ram also went bad (thank you memok light for telling me), it kept freezing at the desktop.

Now this, haha. Three things in one weeks. At least ive built other computers with great success so this wont keep me from trying. :)

kyleswitch

ok, if i understand. you have problem is restarting your computer.
try just to reinstal windows.
try to reinstal win7 to win7
if you have again that problem
try to set win7 to win xp 64x
and install all drivers.
;)

I don't have a problem restarting the computer, my issue is getting it to the desktop. Numerous times and ways of it freezing and not loading past asus express gate/login screen/windows recovery freezes sometimes.

BUT when I do get to the desktop I can play games for hours flawlessly, just getting it to post and turn on is an issue. So this makes me think that the power supply is having a problem powering this board. Maybe the 8 pin power connector for whatever rail its on? Its the Antec 750 earth watts... I should have gotten corsair like my other builds.

Some reason my cd drives was set to boot first, this was after trying to boot it 3 times. 4th time I go into the bios and switch it to my hard drive to boot first once i noticed this and it went straight into windows :confused:

Hmmm

Let me know please. Im not the best with determining what issues are.

Thanks again everyone :eek: