Computer randomly freezes

FATALiiTYz

Hey guys. As the title says, my computer will randomly freeze. It usually happens within 30min - few hours of the PC being turned on. When the computer freezes nothing happens - no black/blue screen, it just freezes exactly where it was. I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off.

This happens at no particular time, but usually happens when I'm browsing the web (mainly forums, facebook and occasionally youtube) or watching videos (mostly 624 x 352 XviD files - so don't use many resources)

I don't think this is caused by my CPU, as watching Low res Xvid files isn't very demanding on my PC or browsing the web via google chrome (specs in sig)

I'll usually have a few tabs open on chrome, but I keep my PC very maintained and few processes running in the background.

I don't think it's a virus, i will double check, but I have avast! Internet Security running.

I ran a Prime95 test the other day for a few hours and was fine when I came back a few hours later so I don't think it's CPU related.

Any thoughts? I was thinking it might be the HDD/ram

Thanks.

FATALiiTYz

I will try that now. But my CPU has been OC'ed for 5+ months, stress tested with Intel Burn Test so I don't think that's the problem. But I'll try.

If that doesn't work, any other suggestions? I might borrow a HDD and install an OS on there and see if the problem stops.

EDIT: Trying now. My RAM was also slightly OC'ed to 1376MHz and is now down to 1333MHz. I'll report back in a few hours and let you know what's happened.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Last edited:

FATALiiTYz

UPDATE: Computer is still freezing. Was watching an .avi file and just froze, as normal.

Any other ideas?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What graphics drivers do you have? I found that on my parents' computer with a 4670 (and Vista 32) some of the newer drivers have caused all manner of dreadful problems - mostly bluescreens, though, no freeze-ups that I've been told of. You may want to trying some newer (or older, whichever applies to your case) ones.

FATALiiTYz

What graphics drivers do you have? I found that on my parents' computer with a 4670 (and Vista 32) some of the newer drivers have caused all manner of dreadful problems - mostly bluescreens, though, no freeze-ups that I've been told of. You may want to trying some newer (or older, whichever applies to your case) ones.

I'm currently running 11.6 - and have been for a while. Do you think I should downgrade/upgrade to 11.9 or just completely uninstall them for a while? I have a feeling that this isn't the problem, but still willing to give it a shot.

Thanks.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I'm currently running 11.6 - and have been for a while. Do you think I should downgrade/upgrade to 11.9 or just completely uninstall them for a while? I have a feeling that this isn't the problem, but still willing to give it a shot.
I personally would try the newer first simply because it happens to be newer (I have no idea which one would be more likely to solve your problem). IIRC, though, 11.6 on the rig I mentioned before would cause bluescreens on boot more than half the time - if it's been working for you, I doubt that's the cuplrit in your case, but might as well try it anyway.

FATALiiTYz

I personally would try the newer first simply because it happens to be newer (I have no idea which one would be more likely to solve your problem). IIRC, though, 11.6 on the rig I mentioned before would cause bluescreens on boot more than half the time - if it's been working for you, I doubt that's the cuplrit in your case, but might as well try it anyway.

Okay, trying 11.9 now. I will let you know in a few hours if the freezing stops.

Thanks.